Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:23 PM   #1

I want to buy a tripod for my new Canon S3 IS. Being a Univ. student,I want one not expensive (say less than $75 Cdn) and very light, since I hike a lot and would want to travel with it. The S3 IS weighs 410 gm without batterys (it uses 4 AA):sad:. I bought a very compact and light one, but it turns out it supports only upto 400 gms,:!: soI returned it, its not worth thr risk.

I would be grateful if someone can suggest a suitable tripod for me.:?

Thanks for your time.:-)

mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:07 PM   #2

I bought a neat little Manfrotto mini-ish type tripod for indoors use only, but since then I have used it in all sort of places. It's the 785-SHB. It has a , well, a different type of pistol grip built onto its ball head and and you pull the trigger on it to tighten the grip on the ball.. I am about to try to modify it to accept the 486rc2 ball head but I may not be able to find the correct Manfrotto parts. It is kind of ok for myNikon D80but you wouldn't want to use to any harder than as a "nice little tripod" as it is made for much smaller cameras than the D80, and the ball mechanism might fall over if you aren't careful, especiallywhen usinga bigger lens like the Sigma 70-200 HSM.. Its build is quite good for a mini tripod and has adjustments enough for my use and can be extended up to about 3 or 4 foot (about 1.2m). It's got to be worth considering...

Just be careful of buying one of the really mini tripods, you know, those ones about 6" tall,,as most of them aren't fit to hold fresh air and are junk...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote