Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:20 PM   #1
Default Bogen/Manfrotto 3006-flex head

I have no prior experience with monopods of any kind and am looking for one suitable for general OTG use--no hard core backpacking or such, but yet light weight and compact size is of value to me.

Does anyone have any experience with (or opinion about) the B/M 3006 monopod and or the B/M 'flex head'?

This combo is very attractive because of its extremely light weight (0.87 lbs). Would this be suitable for light weight cameras such as the oly C- series?

The Slik EZ pod also has interesting features and impressive specifications for its price.

Recommendations welcomed.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2003, 4:35 PM   #2
Default Monopod

Here's a site on using a monopod:

I use my monopod mostly in churches and museums in Oaxaca, all of which prohibit tripods. Some museums prohibit monopods, too, but others allow them in and I've had no problems with churches.

FWIW, I don't think the rubber flex head will cut it. It won't give you the range of motion you need and, when the tension is high, I think it will actually make it harder to hold the camera steady. But, I've never used it. Maybe I'm wrong. Small ball heads useful for monopods are inexpensive, though. I have a small Bogen 3009 that works fine.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 6:09 PM   #3

Thanks a lot for the input.

I suspect that you're right that the tension will probably make me shake more than I normally do.

I'll probably get the 3006 since it's about the right size and weight and remove the flex head (it's bundled at no additional cost so it's no loss) and get the B/M tilt/swivel head for an additional $14.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote