Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Dec 8, 2007, 7:53 PM   #1

i have a Nikon D40 and plan on purchasing a Bogen / Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release). http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo

my question is, can anyone suggest a decent tripod for it? i plan on using it for landscape photography, and some portraits also... i am 5'9 and would like one that would come at least to my chin once the legs are extended.

thanks for any help
forrestranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:31 PM   #2

The Manfrotto 190xb is an excellent tripod. I'm 5'8 and its a tiny bit too tall for me when fully extended so it would be perfect for you, although to get it to this height you have to fully extend the center column. Another option is the 190xprob which is the same as the 190xb but with the option of rotating the center column horizontally. It also costs a bit more.

I have the 190xb and sometimes find myself in a situation where i would have liked to have the option of rotating the center column horizontally. Hope this helped.

photoshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:14 PM   #3

In order to answer this question properly, we need to know the weight of your camera, heaviest lens and head. If you read the specs for any tripod, it will tell you how much weight it can support. Also, the more you extend the center column, the less sturdy it becomes. I would suggest getting a cable release for your camera as well as learning how to use the "mirror lockup" function.
When you touch the shutter release, that will introduce vibration that will reduce sharpness. The mirror flapping up and sown will also produce vibration.
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote