Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:43 PM   #1

Hello everyone. I've done research, and am now looking for some advice.

I have a Rebel XTi and will not be using anything heavier than a 70-200 F4.0L IS.
I've only used cheap garage-sale tripods, and am looking to upgrade. Since one of my cheap tripods is a old, small Slik, I suppose I'm biased towards that brand (It has treated me well).

Using the internet I've tried to compare the Slik Pro 580DX, 400DX, 340DX, and 330DX. I'm looking for light, small,with a relatively high maximum height, but still can support my camera and lens. I just don't want to fall short on the maximum load, getting a tripod that isn't too steady or have too much of a risk of tipping over, but also don't want something built like a tank.

Final comment. I'm interested inutilizing acenter column, but am relatively new to photography and never have actually seen one (other than internet pictures). I'm looking at spending between $90 and$130. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
stacenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:10 AM   #2

slik is said to be a bad company so go with something like sunpak or bogen/manfrotto

how about this

its bogen/manfrotto, has a ballhead, and holds 7.7lb's
seeing as this is the best company in the business of camera tripods pretty much lol!

or this which has a pan head!

holds the same weight but can be more exact in movements!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:25 PM   #3

xiggy wrote:
slik is said to be a bad company
Don't know where you've heard this :roll: Slik Able and Pro series tripods are very solid and reliable and cost less than comparable Manfrotto/Bogen tripods.
I bought my Slik Able 300DX about 14 years ago and it's still in a great shape and I never had a problem with it. The tripod itself is about 2.5 kg and can hold up to 5kg. It could be a little bit higher, but there are other Slik models in the Pro range, which are higher and heavier. To be honest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Manfrottos :-), but good Manfrotto legs and head will cost quite a lot more than a Slik Pro tripod.
just my $0.05
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:42 AM   #4

I've used a Slik 700DX for over 5 years and it's a workhorse. Never any regrets buying it. Very solid and stable.
hamonrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:43 PM   #5

I have a Slik Pro 700 and a Nikon D300 with the MB-D10 Battery Pack.

The battery pack has been on the camera with the 8124 cork shoe since about 5/08.

Today I tried to romove the shoe so I could use the camera on another tripod andthe shoehad adhered so tightly to the rubber base on my battery pack that it peeled the rubber off the bottom of the base of the battery pack before I was finally able to get the shoe off along with the rubber from the battery pack.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a different shoe I can use that doesn't have that cork on it?

Thanks for your help.

DonMayhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:08 PM   #6

hamonrye wrote:
I've used a Slik 700DX for over 5 years and it's a workhorse. Never any regrets buying it. Very solid and stable.
Same here great Tripod

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 9:08 AM   #7

I got a SLIK U212, as a christmas gift, 20 years ago, I used it for both consumer and commercial use. It has travelled the world with me (north america, europe and northern africa) without any problems. I don't want to know how my mom and her boyfriend broke it. They replaced it with a (so called) proline and it almost cost me my EOS, when the mount plate broke off of the ball head's neck, during a photo shoot. Luckily I had my SLIK monopod as a backup. I am now getting a SLIK PRO 580 DX with all metal SH-806E 3-way pan head and case. I'm looking forward to another 20 years and giving my mom the proline without question.
alex_6ft3in is offline   Reply With Quote