Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:19 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I want to buy a new tripod for my little beauty Pana FZ 18.
The problem is I'm complete illiterate when it comes to tripods.:sad:
So will any1 define the following terms in a simple way for me ?

1) Pan Head (2 way, 3 way ?)
2)
Fluid Effect (2 way, 3 way ?)
3)
Quick Release
4)
Bubble Level
5)
Radial Tri-Brace

How are these Tripods ?
1)
Vivitar VPT 1200
2)
Vivitar VPT 3600

Thanks in advance.
power_8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:31 PM   #2

power_8383 wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

I want to buy a new tripod for my little beauty Pana FZ 18.
The problem is I'm complete illiterate when it comes to tripods.:sad:
So will any1 define the following terms in a simple way for me ?

1) Pan Head (2 way, 3 way ?)
2)
Fluid Effect (2 way, 3 way ?)
3)
Quick Release
4)
Bubble Level
5)
Radial Tri-Brace

How are these Tripods ?
1)
Vivitar VPT 1200
2)
Vivitar VPT 3600

Thanks in advance.
Pan Head adjust onlyin a single axis per control. For example rotating from left to right OR up and down. A 2 way Pan head only rotates horizontally (left to right) and vertically (up and down). Each of these movements must generally be completed before the next adjustment can be made. A 3 way Pan Head adds the ability to rotate the camera to portait mode was well as horitizontal and vertical movements. Portait is used on cameras with 4:3 or 16:9 sensors for better head and shoulders shots.

Pan Heads are great for the studio and landscape usage.

You didn't mention Ball Heads, but I will.

A Ball Head is similar to a round ball with a mounting screw glued to the ball. The ball can be rotated such that the camera can point in virtually any position. A Ball Head also allows relatively rapid adjustments to the camera. Good for sports and active photography as well adjusting the camera when the tripod is not easily leveled.

Pan Heads, on a cost/durabilitybasis, will be a better value than a Ball Head, but many photographers will prefer the Ball Head for flexibility and speed of adjustment.

Fluid Dampened Pan Heads are generally used with Video cameras when smooth tracking of the subject matter during shooting is required. The cost of a Good Fluid Dampened Pan Head is going to run into some big $. A cheap fluid dampened Pan Head might work for a point & shoot camera but nothing else.

Quick Release:

The camera will mount to the tripod via a tripod screw. Unless your camera is to remain on the tripod 100% of the time, you will want a QR (Quick Release) plate and mount it to the your tripod head. A good QR plate will firmly hold the camera and prevent the camera from shifting on the tripod head. A lightweight camera is not an issue, but a large dslr + monster lens can weigh 5 or even 25 lbs and the quality of the QR plate can become an issue.

Bubble Level: Fluid filled bubble similar to the bubble in a carpenter's level. Great for leveling the tripod. Also a waste of time and money if one is using a Ball Head.... that 360 degree adjustment on the Ball Headcan easilylevel the camera if the tripod legs are not level.

Radial TriBrace? Sounds like braces added between the legs and the center column to stabilize the tripod. Cheap tripods add extra braces to make up for structural weaknesses of the design. The extra braces impress the customer and sell more tripods.

Your suggested Tripods?

I own a Vivitar Tripod. One of those $30 WalMart Specials. Bought it years ago. Bang for the buck it is hard to beat. Is it a good tripod? Gosh darn no. But it works for purpose ofwhich it was purchased.

Should you buy the Vivitar Tripod? Your call. Remember, I own one. It will work for your camera. But the Vivitar tripods are no where near professional grade. Ifyou want a BETTER Tripod, be prepared to spend a LOT more $.... 5 or even 10x more $.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:38 PM   #3

Thanks sir for your awesome reply.
Very well described terms, and a lots of info added some spark to it.

Thanks, thanks a ton.

What would u suggest me for my Pana FZ18.

Ball Head or Fluid ?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:13 PM   #4

What or where are you going to shoot?

People, Animals, Sports, Landscapes, Birds? little of everything? Studio only? In the field only?

Budget (in US $) ?

Do you want or are able to carry a heavy tripod?

Do you need a full size tripod, or would a table top unit be just as useful?

While both can be purchased for the same price, a Ball Head is going to cost a bit more than a Pan Head if you are trying to maintain comparablequality, durability and practicalweight bearing capacity of each head.

For example, some pretty nifty3-way Pan Heads can be purchased in the $90 to $125 range. Really nice heads which are physically light weight and have a good weight capacity. Comparatively the average $100 Ball Head lacks the weight capacity and in the long run will never be as durable as the similarly priced Pan Head.

BUT for a lot of people, the Ball Head is a more user friendly, speedier and practical design of tripod head.

For me, if I was going to buy the lowest cost tripod I could find, I would buy a Pan Head. Just better weight bearing capabilities due to thesimplier design which should also translate into a more durable unit.

Increase your budget and then I would buy what I wanted rather that what was the most durable etc.

By the way, for your camera, weight capacity is almost a non issue. Which means a less expensive unit will suffice because you will not be straining the unit as much.

PS: A bean bag or similar device can be used as a very effective tripod. Lay the bag down, like on the hood of your car, and make a small indent in the bean bag. Set the camera into the small indent and adjust the position of the camera to compose your picture. Great system to save $ and time of setting up a full size tripod to take a single picture.

Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:33 AM   #5

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
What or where are you going to shoot?

People, Animals, Sports, Landscapes, Birds? little of everything? Studio only? In the field only?

Budget (in US $) ?

Do you want or are able to carry a heavy tripod?

Do you need a full size tripod, or would a table top unit be just as useful?

While both can be purchased for the same price, a Ball Head is going to cost a bit more than a Pan Head if you are trying to maintain comparablequality, durability and practicalweight bearing capacity of each head.

For example, some pretty nifty3-way Pan Heads can be purchased in the $90 to $125 range. Really nice heads which are physically light weight and have a good weight capacity. Comparatively the average $100 Ball Head lacks the weight capacity and in the long run will never be as durable as the similarly priced Pan Head.

BUT for a lot of people, the Ball Head is a more user friendly, speedier and practical design of tripod head.

For me, if I was going to buy the lowest cost tripod I could find, I would buy a Pan Head. Just better weight bearing capabilities due to thesimplier design which should also translate into a more durable unit.

Increase your budget and then I would buy what I wanted rather that what was the most durable etc.

By the way, for your camera, weight capacity is almost a non issue. Which means a less expensive unit will suffice because you will not be straining the unit as much.

PS: A bean bag or similar device can be used as a very effective tripod. Lay the bag down, like on the hood of your car, and make a small indent in the bean bag. Set the camera into the small indent and adjust the position of the camera to compose your picture. Great system to save $ and time of setting up a full size tripod to take a single picture.

Yes, I'll be shooting all of these (People, Animals, Sports, Landscapes, Birds?) in outdoors only.

Price in INR please.

Lightweight tripod will be the first priority.

Ballhead tripod looks good, so I'ld want to go with it.

Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:54 AM   #6

What is your budget?

An entry level ballhead tripod is going to cost a lot more than the tripods you previously mentioned.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:06 AM   #7

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
An entry level ballhead tripod is going to cost a lot more than the tripods you previously mentioned.
Ya, that I understood.

My budget is
2000 Indian rupees = 38.87200 U.S. dollars.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:21 PM   #8

power_8383 wrote:
Quote:
StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
Ya, that I understood.

My budget is
2000 Indian rupees = 38.87200 U.S. dollars.
For that budget, do not buy any tripod with a ball head. There is absolutely no way a ball headed tripod could possibly be any good at that price point.

The inexpensive Vivatar is as good as anyting at that price point. Doubling or tripling your budget is not going to get you much of an improvement, so stay with what you already have selected.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:14 AM   #9

Oh, thanks bro.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:23 AM   #10

My budget is 1000 to 2000 Rs.

The most basic thing I need in a tripod is its adjust ability.

Like I should be able to adjust it according to my need if suppose I'm shooting one photo in macro mode(at ground level it should bend at some angle), second photo in normal mode (waist/chest height).

In such situations, it should be easy to adjust the tripod.

I want nothing more.