Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Default Ball head for Bigmaa?

OK. Here goes nothing. Which ball heads have you had success with when using a Bigma lens? I'm on a somewhat limited budget but I'm not going to buy a piece of trash only to have to replace it 5 minutes down the road. I've got a Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopod on order and I'd like to find the rigght head for it. Thanks again.
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:15 PM   #2

If by Bigma you are referring to the Sigma 50-500mm then you would be better off with something like the Manfrotto 393 http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...fonce/pid/2430 as this is a big heavy lens. I have the Sigma 150-500mm which is the same size and was concerned that the lens and camera would tip dangerously on a ball head but is quite manageable on the 393.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:07 PM   #3

There are several alternatives. If you would use the ball head for something else then I would recommened A markins M10 with a Wimberley sidekick. If you dont plan of using a ballhead otherwise then there are multiple manufacutreres of gimbal style heads (my personal preference is the wimberley WH 200) Wimberly, Manfrotto, Jobu Design, and Kirk. I dont support Induro they are Wimberly copy look alike made in India with inferior materials. These of course are all for tripod mount. For monopod you dont really need a head and especially not a ball head. You can simply either screw the monopod into the the lens support or buy a QR clamp base and lens plate. If you want a little manuver room like downward or upward angles the Manfrotto 2430 will do this but only has an 11 lb load rating. The only one I know that will handle them all is the Really Right Stuff MH-01 but its not cheap. I use a Gitzo GM5561T with the MH-01 with a RRS 80mm QR Clamp. This combo has a 55lb load rating.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote