Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Aug 10, 2002, 10:50 AM   #1
Default Are tripod sockets standard ?

I have a Fuji S602 and want to buy a tripod. Are the tripod sockets universal or must I found a tripod that matches the specific Fuji socket ?
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2002, 7:04 PM   #2

the base socket is generally one of two sizes. 3/8-16 coarse or 1/4-20 coarse(adapter available to 3/8-16). that is where the tripod legs attach to your head. heads today are standard in the pan and tilt type and will fit your camera (1/4-20). ball heads usually have QR assys on them though they are available with a threaded top. i do suggest a qr type assy. my personal favorite is the arca-swiss clamp. it offers maximum versatility and clamping. there are adapters that will go on a pan and tilt head. i own 2 ball heads with the same qr assys. good ball heads are not inexpensive. the range is from $30-$400. certain ball offer more tha others.

ref for qr assy arca swiss type:

both of thes outfits produce an aerospace quality product.

don't short change yourself on the tripod. a good solid tripod/head is your best friend. slik, velbon, bogan/manfrotto, gitzo. thses are the better names in legs.

[Edited on 8-11-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2002, 3:24 PM   #3

Sjms's reply was excellent, so I'm not going to go into alot of detail here but I did want to reinforce that a tripod is not the investment you want to skimp on. The last thing you want is to turn around to get something out of your camera bag and have a leg lock slip and down goes your whole investment. Trust me, I've seen it happen.

Definately spend some cash on the tripod and you'll be very happy. If weight is an issue (for hiking, etc.), don't go with one of the lightweight Best Buy specials - all of the manufacturers Sjms mentioned offer lightweight models.

Hope that helps,
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote