Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:23 AM   #1
Default New and need some help

Ok i just ordered a Pentex K-x and was wondering what a good tripod would be. I just have the two kit lenses that it came with and dont plan to get any more anytime soon. Cheaper would be better but I can save if need be. Thank you
reek1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:05 AM   #2

There are several trains of thought on this topic, that can be found on the web. However, I'll jump to the chase. What are you going to use it for and how do you plan on using it. You probably do not know exactly. So.....

I would search Craigslist for tripods and find something for under $15 locally. Use it for a year. The more you use it, the more you will hate it for specific reasons. Also, there will be some features that you will like.

With that in mind and some internet searching you will know what type of tripod (aluminum or carbon fiber), legs (flip or twist locks), sections (three or four), size, weight, etc. You will also know what you want in a head, a tilt pan head or a ball head along with what features, based on the type of photography you do (night shots, panorama, etc.).

Legs run from $50 to $1000. Heads run from $50 to $1000. Camera plates, clamps and L brackets run from $20 to $150 each item.
  • Legs - are the basic set of tripod legs.
  • Heads - are the assembly on top of the tripod on which you attach your camera and let you "aim" the camera or level it.
  • Camera plates and clamps - are a two piece setup. The clamp is on the head and the plate is on your camera. This lets you quickly release the camera from the tripod assembly.
  • L Brackets - let you switch the camera from a horizontal to vertical position quickly.
So start out slowly, and with something inexpensive and see if you even need "mechanical support".

Not pushing one type or brand over any other, however here are some videos that are pretty instructional and answer a lot of questions.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:38 PM   #3

Thank you for all that info it helps me out alot and will probably save me a lot of money. I cant wait to get my camera and start taking pictures. But i still have to wait another month because i am in afghanistan and i am going to get it when i get home for leave and then bring it back. But again thank you for all the help interested observer.
reek1729 is offline   Reply With Quote