Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Default Monopod for intense trekking

I just returned from a trip to the Smokey Mountains. I carried my travel tripod with me but it seemed to be more of a hassel to use and carry than it was worth climbing up and down the mountains. I was wishing at times I had a monopod with me. You get to a spot, you are out of breath from climbing and you have a picture to take. The ground is uneven and it is difficult to steady the camera. I'm 6'3" tall. Can someone recommend a good monopod that won't break the bank? Currently my carry lens is a Tamron 18-50 2.8 but occationally, I will use a Tamron 18-250.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:26 PM   #2

It is going to depend upon your budget, but anything from manfrotto will serve you well. I have a bogen junior monopod model 3006 and it works well although it only goes to 5 feet fully extended, I like it because it is small when fully retracted and I got it for $25 on ebay with a ball head. Given your height (I'm only 6') and whether or not you want the monopod to bring the camera all the way up to eye level or not will determine what size model you go with. Like I said mine doesn't go all the way to eye level but that is okay as I have an articulating viewfinder that allows me to put it at 90 degrees and look down into it.

Leki also makes trekking poles with a special attachment that allows it to be used as a monopod. I also have some old Leki trekking poles and thought about converting one into a monopod but like I said I found a good price on the Bogen junior model. In my experience the monopod is every bit as sturdy for a walking stick as the Leki trekking poles although the grip isn't as ergonomic.

Either way a ball head is still needed.
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote