Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:43 PM   #1
Default Economical but solid tripod needed

I just got a Nikon D70, now I need an economical but solid tripod that I can use for macro and whatever else I decide to shoot. I don't mind used if in really good condition

Any suggestions and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

er5reni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:42 PM   #2

my experience with tripods is the cheapo ones are rubbish, the better ones are more expensive and are heavy, the really good ones are carbon fibre but are very expensive.
i have a Manfrotto tripod 190XPROB which is absoloutly solid, it gets very low so is ideal for macro work, but its also quite heavy to lug around.
they arnt cheap but you get what you pay for i guess, maybe you could get second hand one from somewhere.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:09 AM   #3

Best first state what you mean by economical, as everyone has their own ideas on what that is!

For me that was something like the Benro c-2691 travel angel carbon fiber with b1 head.

As it costs "only" about 1/3 of my large main gitzo tripod setup, and it is easily strapped to a backpack for hiking, which the big gitzo won't.

Note that the benro a-2691 aluminum version is about 1/2 the cost of the carbon fiber version.
You pay for the difference in the weight you need to haul around.

The aforementioned Manfrotto tripod 190XPROB or 055 are also good but do get heavy if you plan to do a lot of hiking/walking with them.
(you also need to buy a head for them, usually seperately)

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; Sep 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4

Look at the Dolica GX series tripod, only $50:

Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:46 AM   #5

I've been using this Ravelli for a few months now. Only $90, carbon fiber so fairly light weight, 3-way head, folds down small enough to fit in an overhead storage bag, rated for 17lbs (i haven't put that much on, but it works fine for my K-x and a 500mm lens)
Ravelli Professional 65-inch Carbon Fiber 3 Axis Ball Head Camera Video Photo Tripod with Quick Release Plate and Carry Bag

If you want something a bit sturdier (w/ 3 sections instead of 4) and a pistol grip and don't need the portable size and only a few dollars more:
Ravelli APGL4 New Professional 70" Tripod with Adjustable Pistol Grip Head and Heavy Duty Carry Bag
mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:27 PM   #6

I highly recommend the Vanguard AT263 Pro. I had mine a year and at some point I dropped it on the road causing a small dent in one of the legs. That dent resulted in the plastic piece holding the leg in to break down and the leg would fall out if I wasnt careful. Well long story short, I sent it back to Vanguard to get fixed. They sent it back and to my surprise completely replaced the tripod. Now you cant get better customer satisfaction than that. No questions asked.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote