Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:04 PM   #1
Default Tripod advice: Sirui/Vanguard system versus Velb

I lost my much-used Velbon tripod with Manfrotto QR system when I left it on top of my car as I drove away. I want to replace it. Iím looking at either:

Sirui T-1205X Carbon Fiber Tripod with Vanguard GH-100 Pistol-Grip Ballhead for about $380 total; (both get great reviews at B&H)

Or a . . . Velbon UT 45L 6-Section Aluminum Tripod w/ PHD-42Q 4-Way Head for about $200. (gets pretty good reviews at B&H)

The Velbon is lighter, only 2.75lbs versus 3.5 lbs for the other, but Iím thinking that the Sirui/Vanguard system will be sturdier, it holds more weight if needed, and the max. and min. heights are a bit more. I like the idea of the pistol grip adjustment as well (though I've never used one).

Any thoughts on these choices? Best, David.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:42 PM   #2

G'day David

Good Q matey > how long is a piece of string?

You did a sensible thing by leaving the old one to get lost > great way of forcing the issue for a new one ... bit like dunking the camera in sea water

Velbon x 6 sections? > will that be sturdy enough or will the leg-joins cause wobble?

When fully closed up, Q- how small it the tripod? How easily will it fit into whatever storage space you have?
The Velbon head being 4-way will do panos [dunno whether you do tho!!!] but will the ball head allow panos? > some ball heads have only 1-locking lever, so that each time you release the lock the entire camera is able to 'wobble & rotate' > no good for panos

Q- what is the longest lens you have / are likely to buy if one of on the horizon? > 300mm or longer will need a very stable platform

Hope this is of some help [confusion ]
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 4:27 PM   #3

The pistol grip is fast but bulky.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:27 PM   #4

Phil and Bynx, thanks for your replies.

Phil: the Velbon folds up a bit smaller, about a foot I think, while the Sirui would be about 14 inches, not counting the head -- so both are fairly compact and useable.

I shoot mainly with Pan. G3 mirrorless, and my largest lens is a 45-250mm. All and all, not that much weight, but I was just thinking that I like to shoot long exposures, so having the extra support and stability would be a benefit.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Sirui/Vanguard combo, but I will also try to get by my local camera shop to take a look before deciding.

PS - Phil: not sure if it's your thang' but over the last few months I had a chance to go see an exhibit here at Seattle Art Museum of Australian aboriginal art -- I found it quite wonderful. I believe the pieces are part of the permanent collect at SAM, so I hope to get to see them again.

Best, David

Last edited by David F; Sep 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote