Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 23, 2004, 5:37 PM   #1
Default Bogen 3025 head

I知 considering purchasing a Bogen 3001 tripod with a Bogen 3025 head. I知 a beginning photographer, using a Sony digicam, so this combination will work for me at this time. But, I was told that when I purchase a SLR with fisheye lens that the 3025 head will not be able to support the weight. Soooo, I知 thinking about upgrading the head to a Bogen 3030. Does anyone know if the Bogen 3025 head will support the SLR and Lens combo?
jocha000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:38 PM   #2
Default Bogen Heads

You've asked a tough one to answer with the limited info given. The 3001 legs are listed for 11 lb duty. The 3025 head is a twenty-five dollar item rated at 6.6 lbs. It could be enough depending on what slr and what lens and accessories. My equipment is heavier and the 3025 doesn't suit my shooting style so I can't answer your question. I will tell you this, I have spent mass volumes of money in an evolution of tripods and heads and I hope you do not make the same mistake. I can think of nothing that will ruin more pics than shakey equipment. Think your purchase out very carefully.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:09 PM   #3

I just ordered a ball head, with camera and lens plates to replace the 3030 head. I have the 3001 tripod and while it works fine for my current selection of lenses, I will soon be replacing it when I opt to go to longer lenses.

The 3001/3030 combination should work well until you get into lenses longer than 300mm. I can't imagine a fisheye lens being an issue. The tripod itself is fairly sturdy and is lightweight for hiking. Being light can also be a hindrance in less than optimum conditions.

But as Tom pointed out, you can get a roomful of tripods and heads accumulated if you don't choose well in the first place.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:52 PM   #4

I apologize if I was a bit vague. Reason is I知 still shopping around as well as saving up my money. I知 considering purchasing either the Nikon D100 or Canon digital rebel at this time. Who knows, things may change as time passes.

For the type of shooting I plan on doing the 3001 tripod should be okay. I知 nowhere near professional level, still a novice trying to learn but, was concerned that the 3025 head may not support the weight of the Nikon or Canon with fisheye lens. Thanks for the input.
jocha000 is offline   Reply With Quote