Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:30 PM   #1
Default tripod legs

Ok - so I got over the urge to buy the 25 dollar target tripod. However now I'm in a world of confusion. The primary use of the tripod will be for video - but will also be used for photo. My closest camera shop sells mostly the promaster - I was looking at the 6850(?) - but the salesperson told me the head can't be swapped.

The tripod will also be used mostly outdoors and in the wind. I will be videotaping windsurfing. In windy conditions. So I'm really confused about what kind of tripod I need.

I've been focusing on maximum weight support - not because I'm going to putting anything heavy on it - standard sony vidoecamera - panasonic fz1 camera - but I've been focusing on maximum weight because I'm thinking I will need to hang something from the center column to help support the tripod. Is this faulty logic?

Also I've been looking at ones with retractable spike feet. Does anyone have any experience with these - do they work - or are they a gimmick? I was thinking they would be good at the beach.

Thanks for the help.

Also if anyone was experience with the manfrotto 055BWB or 3221WN - please provide details.[/i]
victw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:41 PM   #2

I have the Pro master 6600 i think it is about the same as the 6850, and yes the head is not removable. it has served me well especially panning shots... It is sturdy even with the 80-200 attached to camera at about 8lbs.. But when i use the 600mm, and the camera, I have about 16lbs attached and with the head being all plastic i didn't trust it.. so i got the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221wn this is a excellant tripod handles anything I put on it.... plus its range is 3" to 70". The spiked feet, I do use on side hills, The promaster slid on me once... but in sand I would think either would work. . but the spikes are nice just incase... and they are easy to retrack in and out... Attached to the 3221wn is bogens new 322RC2 Grip actiion Ball head the Combo gives me all I want... If you go with the promaster let me know i made a device to go on the side of the head with a handle that works better than there back handle.. And you can make it yourself... Good luck..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote