Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 18, 2004, 5:25 AM   #1

I am investigating tripods. I have a CP5700 and will eventually buy a D70, or whatever Nikon is offering in that catagory when I have the free cash. I don't use long, heavy telephoto lenses, do mostly landscape and portrait.

I have narrowed my tripod quest to the Bogan/Manfrotto 3021BN and the 484RC2 ball head. I was a little concerned about the 484 ball head not having a separate pan lock knob, but looked at one breifly in a store and, though I didn't have a camera mounted, it seems that if you back off on the lock knob a little it frees up the pan while keeping the tilt fairly snug. Is this the way they work?

I am also considering the Tiltall tripod. Back when I was a film photographer this was THE tripod to use, thought I personnaly never owned or used one. Also, back then, and this was many years ago, they were expensive, but now they are very reasonable. Does anyone have experience with the modern Tiltall?

I have also considered and looked at the so called "digital" tripods offered by various manufactures, especially the Bogan/Manfrotto 724B. I find the weight and compactness of these very appealing, but with 4 leg sections to get adequate height, they seem a bit wobbly.
Please add your thoughts and experiences to help in my quest.
Bill Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:11 AM   #2

instead of the 3021BN look into the 3021pro. it will allow for much greater versatilitry in shooting especially closeup/macro work.

ball heads- if your serious aboutowning onedo not short yourself. you will end up makinga replacement purchase after you realize the lackings in some of the less costly units. brands to look at:

arca-swiss, kirk, markins, RRS, acratech. these are the creme of the crop. price range is from approx $280-$570 the pricing is not for one who is not willing to commit the the the system. the return on investment is ease of operation smooth movement and outstanding quality

these all use the arca-swiss type QR plates. this plate is the defacto standard of QR systems in the imaging community.

when you get a set of legs and a head treat the purchase as you would an extension of you camera.

i stlll have my tiltall monopod. unfortunately the tiltall tripod is fairly limited in comparison to the manfrottos and gitzos of today

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote