Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Nov 10, 2004, 6:53 PM   #1

Was over at B&H today and decided that I was going to spend some money. I was really hoping to buy a lense adapter and telephoto lense for my Kodak DX 7440, but they didn't have the adaptor. Instead, I figured that I should definitely buy the tripod, which I'd have bought after the lenses anyway.

I didn't want to spend more than $50, but I knew that I wanted certain little things out of it. Turns out, that the Sunpak 8001UT was EXACTLY what I have been looking for. It's light weight, sturdy, seemingly well built, and has some extras that I really like. For one, it extends to my eye level (I'm 6') , with two step leg incraments, and then finally fully extends with the crank mechanism. The knobs are very sufficeint and not too cheap. There are two line "levels" on this one, which is cool too. One is on the "quick release" head and the other is on the top of the leg base. (Probably the wrong terminology, excuse my ignorance..newb ere').

They actually included an extra quick release base head (with bubble level)

- Three way photo/video fluid effect panhead w/quick release plate and bubble level

- Geared center column with tension adjustment, and locking metal leg braces, plus second 1/4"-20 mount

- Oversize 1" leg diameter

- D shape three section legs w/quick lock levers, heavey duty rubber feet, and retractable spike tips

- Extends to a full 60.2", closes to 22.5", holds up to 6.6 lb. and weighs 2.9 lbs (1.34 kg)

And it cost me less than $40. IMO, well worth it for a light weight DC such as my DX7440. Oh, it also comes with a nice little shoulder strap bag. I can definitely see this one lasting for a while. Good stuff.

Sweet Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:54 PM   #2

Seems to me a good buy too, but the most important is that you are satisfied with
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:14 PM   #3

I too was looking into this tripod at BestBuy instore. Strange thing is on the B&H site it doesnt say it has spiked feet yet you can clearly see theres space for the rubber feet to screw up in the picture
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:04 AM   #4

like i said its all relative to what you use and how your going to use it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:23 PM   #5

I found a review of it. I think this might be good for a rookie photog like myself

RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote