Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:55 PM   #1

Saw your post from September http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=73where you rave about the RRS BH-55. You also stated that you have the Markins M10. I'm considering these two ballheads. I had been leaning toward the Markins based on generally positive reviews, but recently the BH-55 became available. If you consider the cost of the RRS lever quick release, the price of the Markins is only $30 less than the BH-55, so cost is not really the major deciding factor.I am concerned, however about the BH-55's higher weight.

I do wonder, however, if you can speak specifically to specific advantages and disadvantages of the BH-55 compare to the Markins. Also, did you ultimately decide to keep only one of them, or did you keep both.

raduray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:51 PM   #2

sorry so long

i have 2 tripods

1 g2228 explorer from gitzo thats where the markins lives and will remain until the BH40 shows up this year

1 manfrotto 3021pro with a manfrotto leveling post. this is where the BH55 resides and will remain so for a long time.

i'm happy with both but the action on the BH55 is more to my liking as the M10 is just like a Arca Swiss B1. there isof course the weight penalty but it a heavier setup for heavier equipment. there is always compromise but the heavier tripod though tougher to carry is more stable to use.

yes i still do rave about the RRS head. but i aloso have no real issues with the markins either. both serve their purposes well for me.

the lockup is almost just a finger twist. the drag setting is more precise. the profile per size is lower and the fliplock is a charm. warranty is easier to deal with too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote