Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:06 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

Would like to know which tripod I can buy for my Canon S1 IS Camera?
ram_gandhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:09 AM   #2

Hi ,The S1 has a standard tripod thread so any tripod will fit,As to brands Manfroto make excellant tripods and there are too many others to mention.Normal tripod advice is to buy the sturdiest and biggest you realistically can carry but remember what feels light in shop gets heavy real quick once you have to carry it a decent distance.

On feature to watch out for is being able to reverse center coloumn so camera can be used close to ground for macros.You may also want to try a fluid head as used for video cameras if you think you will shoot a lot of video as using a normal still camera head is a bit jerky when panning just make sure it can be easily locked off in position for still work

The tripod I get most use out of is a good quality table top one whichI usually use for group photos indoors at bithdays so I can be in photo as well.

if you look on http://www.lensmateonline.comyou will find the one I have ,"The Ultra Pod" (at the bottom of S1 order page)which has a swivel/ball head and a velcro strap which allows it to be tied off to posts etc and was quite cheap to purchase. I bought mine years ago and have used it with SLRS with 75-300mm zoom lens and it handled the weight well.

The IS on the S1 is very effective and I only use tripods now for macro or fire works even with 1.6x telextender fitted.

Dont forget to turn IS off when using tripod as it can cause a small loss in image quality when rigdly mounted.

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:09 AM   #3

I have the SLIK Sprint Pro GM (SBH-100) and it seems to work well.

But this tripod is more of a travel one opposed to a professional one. The legs are not connected to each other in the middle therefore you can use the camera pretty close to the ground(if you call 17 inches close).lol

Its only 19 inches in length folder up so its great for travel.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote