Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:21 PM   #11

genece wrote:

Is it possible to get the panning plate as a seperate item? (Seems like that could be a good idea if not)

I really like the Idea of that 322RC2**Ball head but , is the 488RC easy to use, and /or is this a pretty good pan and tilt.

The Manfrotto 488RC2 is a true ball head which incorporates a separate pan axis just as the Arca-Swiss types. To use the pan axis effectively when making panorama shots, you have to level the tripod base (make the center column plumb) by adjusting the legs.

Manfrotto (and no doubt others) makes leveling/pan bases that are saparate from head or tripod legs.

e,g,. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=286876&is=REG and leveling devicess such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=146230&is=REG

I too have committed to the RC2 QR system. Manfrotto has RC2 addapters that can be used on other platforms or heads.

I am fortunate to have several high quality professional camera equipent store convenient to me which carry Gitzo, Bogen Manfroto, Arca-Swiss heads. I lose sight of the fact that these type of stores are the exception, even in large urban areas.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:16 PM   #12

I like the three axis head - slow to set up, but locks in place easily and firmly. A bit of overkill for most digicams and SLRs without a long lens though: do you really need to support 13.2 pounds?

Easy to build a pano head to go on the top: just an L bracket with holes at the right place (experiment to find). You can even put a quick release on the "L": http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=149686&is=REG
That will work just as well on a ball head of the type described by jawz. You can find all kinds of info on commercial and home-built heads in the formus at Max Lyons' site: http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons A must read site if you are interested in panos.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:11 PM   #13

Boy..I am learning a lot . I don't know if its making the choice any easier, but now I know what to expect. Thanks a lot guys.

All that stuff is bookmarked for when I find I did not get what I wanted.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:27 PM   #14

Rather than makke a purchase sight unseen might I suggest this, Go check out the New Castle Camera Club and see what the members are using and why. Or get together with other groups that go out on cphoto outings and check their equipment out.

I have an extra camera plate in my bag. That would give you access to Two different Manfrotto tripods, a Kirk ball head,a Kirk Cobra gymbal mount and a Mongoose M262. I just ordered a Manfrotto leveling center column which I think would aid in set-up for panarama style shots. I do not do much of that type of shooting but I have in the past and understand the importance of maintaining level and nodal point.

I do shoot Pittsburgh on occation, or we could meet at McConnells Mills or perhaps you would enjoy a tour of Mill Creek Park.

Attached Images
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:49 PM   #15

sjms wrote:

RRS is sold only by RRS and there is an approx 6 week wait for their head. (design/machine shop)

I just ordered a BH-55LR on 3/8 and was notified that it shipped on 3/12. And they told me when I called to order that there was a wait of about 4 weeks. I haven't even ordered legs yet.

surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:23 AM   #16

WOW! that is unusual. hope you enjoy it. i sure do.

now what legs are you going to put under that head?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:47 PM   #17

Gitzo 2220 legs are on the way as I type.

surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote