Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:15 PM   #1

Hey Everybody,

I'm pretty new to photography but I bought a Canon Powershot SD400 camera and I need a lightweight tripod that I can take backpacking. Seeing as the camera only weighs 5 oz, it doesn't need to support a lot of weight. I'm looking to spend <$100. Here is what is important to me.

1. Lightweight <2lbs

2. Compactability

3. Cost

90% of what I will be shooting is landscapes, hopefully being able to get some shots of sunrises, sunsets, waterfalls, and fireworks. All of which I have failed doing w/o a tripod.

These are the one's I've been considering:

davis2001r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:00 PM   #2

here are much better and more stable models by one of the best manufacturers

loose the pan and tilt head and use a ball. it reduces weight and bulk.the above onesare both in the 2-3 lb catagory. you start givng up certain properties like quality build and with that rigidity when you go too light. i strongly suggest the first one 724B

these are my legs and heads. not a pan and tilt on them. my cameras are a bit bulkier then yours so i went to CF and articulated movement and yes they are heavier. they are light relative to the camerasthough

Attached Images
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 5:14 AM   #3

Check with Ritz Camera if you have one near. They have a new model QSX Digi Pro 100 not shown on the web site. Price $59.95, black ball head tripod, weight 2 lb., total extended height 53", closed about 14.5", has grounder legs can go as close to theground as 8.75". The tripod is made by sunpak. The legs are twist to lock, pull out, can suport 3.3 lbs. I just bought one, and I love it, perfect for day hiking or backpacking.

Photo Here. http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread....hreadid=651307
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote