Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:02 PM   #1

I have a tripod and know how to use that for a digital camera. But I have heard people talking about monopods. What exactly are they? How do you use them? What situation would you use them in? Also I have heard of unipods? are they the same as monopods?
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:54 AM   #2

Monopods are in most cases just a single leg with a mounting screw at top that you can either attach a camera/lense to or a head just like you would on a tripod. In general they serve the same purpose as a tripod - giving added stability.

They are generally used in instances where people want less weight and more mobility. You will see a lot of sports shooters using it because of the long/heavy lenses they use - but they don't have time to move a clunky tripod around (the monopod keeps their arms from supporting the weight of the lens and the fast shutter speeds compensate for the lack of lateral stability of the monopod). People who do a lot of hiking also use it because it is less weight to carry. The downside is it doesn't offer the side-to-side stability of a tripod. There are multiple techniques for bracing the monopod but that's another thread. There are some monopods that have attachable support legs to make them more stable and free-standing but I've never used them so I can't comment on their usability.

So, the monopod gives you vertical stability with low weight and easy portability.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote