Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:21 AM   #1

I'm current using a Manfrotto Digi 719B tripod with a ball head (I think it's been replaced by the 724 – you'd know better than me). The 719B is rated to carry 4kg.

My camera (Canon 20D) is 750g and I usually have the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens attached which weighs 950g: all up, about 1700g.

I've been totally happy with the tripod until I started taking time exposures in portrait orientation: it starts to tilt down, I think because the lens makes it quite front heavy. Is this an equipment malfunction, or is my tripod not up to this task despite being within weight limit?

It would also be useful for me to be able to get the camera very close to the ground, as I do a bit of (true) macro photography with another lens.

I'd appreciate you're comments or suggestions.
Canon-fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2

Two things, the weight limits are practically meaningless and it takes money to get a ball head that works as advertised. Thats looks like a pretty light-duty head.

I recently bought a manfrotto 3021 pro tripod and a really right stuff ball head, its an excellent setup but a little costly. The legs are around $150, but can be positioned any way you wish all the way to flat out on the ground. The center colum can mount horizontal too, which should be great for macro (I havent tried yet).

A really good budget head is the Kirk BH3, about $250 which includes a generic quick release plate for your camera. The other good heads are more expensive and also dont come with a camera plate, so that would be an extra $50. Maybe you can get away with a lower price head, I dont know. What pushed me over the edge to get a good setup was trying to get the focus right when shooting macro, my cheap setup moved around so much the focal plane would shift.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:48 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments, TMoreau.

I'm also contemplating a Velbon tripod - I'll put it up as a separate topic.
Canon-fodder is offline   Reply With Quote