Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:04 PM   #1

Hi all, I was wondering if Olympus makes a digital camera that would work well for a dive camera? I have seen many dive cases listed for them but don't know anything about their cameras. I have a Panasonic FZ20 for my main camera but there are really no serious dive cases made for it that I know of.

Thanks, Al
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:01 AM   #2

Olympus have always made quality cameras. I have seen some very good shots taken underwater with the Olympus 5050

http://www.nupg.org.uk/Tips%20And%20...iles/frame.htm

I think this has been superceded now by the 7070 and the 8080. What thesecameras offer that many compacts don't is the ability totake control.Aperture priority is a major advantage, Manual exposure can be very useful underwater and the ability to select the ISOalso useful.

I would avoid cameras that only have a selection of full auto modes.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:24 AM   #3

They make one of the best cameras ever for underwater shooting....the E-330 DSLR with it live view LCD...

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/re...dives_EN1.html

I have a 7-14 Zuiko, but would have to think twice about taking it underwater!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:47 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the information. I have looked at the different cameras and the E-330 DSLR is way out of my price range for the amount of use it would be likely to get. It is a beautiful camera and if I thought I would use it enough I would be very tempted to go for it. The C-5050 and others that Ken suggested I think will be a much better first dive camera. I will have to do a lot more reading on these cameras to see which one I like the best. If anyone has used any of these cameras please jump in and add some feed back.

Thanks, Al
Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:36 AM   #5

Try posting on the www.wetpixel.com forums. You'll probably get more feedback as that site is dedicated to digital photography underwater.

Ken
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:16 PM   #6

The camera is only part of the equation, often the underwater camera cases & lighting cost much more than the camera itself.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:19 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. I have been under the weather the last two weeks but have been keeping up with the posts. I also have been doing more research and am now even more confused then ever.

OK, let me try this. Given that I don't have a lot of money to spend and the camera would only be needed for underwater use because I have another camera, FZ20. What would be some good choices in new or used cameras. I would like to stay in the 5MP range or larger so I can get some good 8x10 prints. I don't want to get something that is obsolete or will be soon. I don't want to spend more than about $800 for camera, case, and flash, and less would be better. Is there anything that might fit into this range?

Thanks, Al
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:14 AM   #8

I've heard some good reports of the Fuji F30 and it's available with a housing for what seems to be a very reasonable price. I've also seen offers that include a strobe at reduced price when buying the camera and housing. You'd need to take a good look to see if it matched your requirements.

Ken

Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:11 PM   #9

Hi all and thanks for all the input. I have looked at the other sites and followed all the advice given here and have decided on the Olympus C-5050. This looks like a great camera for diving and if needed I can use it anywhere. The price is not bad used and the Olympus case is also available at a good price. The Ikelite cases are more then I want to spend for now. It I decide later to get more serious I can upgrade if needed. Let me ask what would be a good light to go with this setup? I don't really want anything too big and money is still an issue. Again thanks for all the input, it has helped.

Allen