Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jul 18, 2002, 4:49 PM   #1

Default New Resource for Digital Underwater Photography

I am adding some articles on digital underwater photography to my website. The first two are done and ready for use. The first is a hands-on comparison of the three housings available for the Olympus C-X0X0 family of cameras. The second is an overview of the strobes currently available for digital underwater photography and details on using my strobe of choice, the Sea & Sea YS-90DX.

http://www.digitaldiver.net gets you to my home page. Follow the link to Digital Photo and the links to the two articles are there. More will be added over the next few weeks, so drop by often.
sharpdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2002, 1:41 PM   #2

Default Many thanks !

Many thanks for sharing your results in testing both housings and strobes for the Olympus 4040. With the recent price drop to $699 list for the 4040 and with the cost of the PT010 housing at less than $300, this seems like the most economical, yet high quality set up imaginable for UW photography. Hopefully Olympus will continue to upgrade this series of cameras (5050?) to include a 5 MP sensor, a larger buffer, and compatibility with the new Smart Media card.
Although I do some diving, I'm also interested in using such a set up from a sail boat and occassional kayak and rafting trips. So I'm looking for a housing with a positive buoyancy while topside, but a way to add ballast for diving. Is there a way to do that? Also it would be great if you could post any information you might have learned about the various add-on wide angle and telephoto lenses available.
Keep up the good work.
Bob
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 5:23 PM   #3

Default Your buoyancy questions answered

The camera and housing are positively buoyant. The housing comes with a ballast weight that makes the assembly slightly negative. Not only is there a way to do it, but it is all included in the same package.

Look for articles on add on lenses coming this fall.
sharpdiver is offline   Reply With Quote