Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:34 AM   #1

Very easy to do in Photoshop.

First know what are the order of "lost"

RED> Contrast > lights > rest of spectrum....

so let's compensate!

open a file in photoshop, go to the tabs (up left).

1) First correct the colors

IMAGE->ADJUSTMENTS->COLOR BALANCE

Crank UP the RED and slightly lower the BLUE

2) Correct contrast and light

IMAGE->ADJUSTMENTS->Brightness/Contrast

Crank UP the contrast...play with your light

ET VOILA!

Bring LIFE to your pics! Continue to play around the adjustment until you get the effect you desire. Note that even photoshop cannot remove plancton...

Pics below where taken in the Atlantic Ocean near Cape Ann on January 30th 2009, water at 2C...with a Sony DSC-H9 and a homemade watercasing (no strobe, no lens..nothing)

Enjoy!

Facebook: Franck commonsens
Attached Images

Legio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:30 PM   #2

3 clicks in Picasa 3:

[img]p:%5Cyy%5Cw3b_cor.jpg[/img]

One of my pictures (4 clicks in picasa3)
before:

after:

primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:20 PM   #3

Very nice, Primus......but the ones showed here where only BASIC touch with Photoshop and could have easily have more "effects" then Picassa, which is far less powerful (that why professionals use Photoshop...and not picasssa)

What is important is that people knows that they CAN correct their underwater pics (either full edition or simple edition) and knows what to look for and in what order: Red - contrast - light - rest of spectrum.

Legio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:54 PM   #4

I agree with you, Photoshop is the best (and I'am using it too). But most people do not have (buy$$$) Photoshop. My intention was to tell these people that there is a free Picasa, which is sufficient for the basic processing of photos, including underwater, but do not need any skills or money.
primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5

While I don't do underwater photography at all, I am somewhat familiar with cameras, and post processing. If your camera has the capability of custom white balance, that would be the best way to get dolor corrected photos straight from the camera. Simply use a grey or white card to set the white balance for the lighting at the area you are shooting.

If your camera doesn't have custom white balance setting, you can still use the white or grey card. Take a shot of it where you are taking your pictures, and when post processing, use the grey or white card photo with the color cast tool in you photo editor. If your editor has batch processing ability, you can then color correct a whole set in less time than it took for me to type this.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 8:57 PM   #6

Shoot raw and try to get as close as possible to your subject! The deeper you go the more blueish and greyish everything. Play with the WB sliders in PS.