Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Underwater Camera

Hi.

What is the best underwater/waterproof, disposable camera, currently on the market?

Some says Fujifilm quick snap water camera and Kodak's Sport camera.

Do you recommend this type of camera? I need to know your opinion if you ever use this device.
JasonOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:40 AM   #2

I don't think there is one best camera. It depends on what you want to do. If you want to take a camera scuba diving then a housing is probably the best way to go. For snorkelling or surface water sports then a waterproof camera would be smaller and lighter. Apart from reviewers you won't find many people who've used more than 1 of this type of camera so it's difficult to get objective opinions. From whats posted in the underwater photography forum Underwater photography with Panasonic DMC-FT1 (TS1) I'd say the Panasonic DMC-FT1 is pretty good for the shallow stuff when used properly. The main rule of underwater photography is get close then get closer still.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:47 AM   #3

Here's a round-up review of 7 current models of waterproof point-and-shoot cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/ My son got the Canon D10 about six weeks ago, and so far loves it. By the review cited, the D10 is the best of the lot for underwater quality (rated to a depth of 33 feet). It is also a good general-purpose snapshot camera. Controls are designed for ease of use in under-water or bad weather conditions. The downsides of the camera include that it is a bit large for a point-and-shoot (not quite pocket size); it has limited manual controls if you want to do something fancier than snapshots; its zoom range is just 3x starting at 35mm (equivalent angle); it doesn't have HD video; it uses a proprietary battery; it lacks a viewfinder; and the body of the camera is kind of slippery when wet -- an odd failing for an underwater camera! But my son is thoroughly enjoying the camera so far and is quite content with the photo quality. FWIW.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote