Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:21 PM   #1

Default Need some pointers to start looking for a camera

Hi.. I just joined yesterday and i think I posted this wrong... It showed up in another thread so I'm trying again.

I'm really not looking for the easy way out... I've spent hours online looking at cameras and the more I look the more confused I get. I've also spoken with multiple salespersons at stores but none seem to know the cameras well enough to recommend what I need as a diver. I'm hoping someone here can "point" me in the right direction. I'm looking for a camera that I can use underwater obviously. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend what it takes to be able to do the following:
1. Have a camera that I can take to 120 feet. (Available housing)
2. A point and shoot that allows for manual option if i ever learn enough.
3. A small f stop since I would prefer not to have an external flash, although I may consider that at a later date.
4. Video clip option
5. Camera software that facilitates a "quick" picture so behaviors can be caught. (I have so many pictures of "no dolphins jumping)!!!
6. Good battery life (Lithium)

I know this is probably a tall order but if anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks so much.

Last edited by dtbriten; Aug 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
dtbriten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:08 AM   #2

It' help if you posted some cameras you were considering. A good option to look for is the ability to capture shots in RAW, particulary if you are shooting without flash as it allows you to set white balance in post processing. I have seen good reviews of the Canon G9.

If you get serious about underwater photography you will almost certainly want an external flash and a wide angle lens. Main thing is to get as close as you can to the subject so use the wide angle end of the zoom and use wide angle with the macro setting for close up if possible. In clear tropical seas it's easier to get good shots with longer lenses and without flash.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:38 AM   #3

I have the Fuji F50e compact with housing that would meet your requirements. The housing allows use of all controls. Note that the housing costs as much as the camera. Another way to go is to search for housings and then check out the camera. Haven't shot it enough to get a fair quality check, but I chose the F50 for its decent high ISO for a compact. I've been certified for two years and I can tell you that getting good underwater pictures in tough.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote