Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old May 24, 2010, 4:49 PM   #1

Default Which underwater housing do you recommend for a Canon 5d Mark II?

Which underwater housing do you recommend for a Canon 5d Mark II? Also, which is the cheapest but still good quality underwater flash system on the market?
I have around $1200-1700 for it. I know it is not a lot.
Thanks,
Otto
Old May 25, 2010, 8:25 AM   #2

It's a difficult question as to some extent you get what you pay for. I use an Ikelite housing mainly because it is cheap. It's made of polycarbonate and it's a bit bulkier than some aluminium housings. Where as some manufacturers make a housing for each camera and it's shaped to fit the camera closely, Ikelite make one housing and fit the controls to suit each camera.

I know a few people using Sea & Sea housings and they seem reasonable value for money. I think your budget would be stretched by most other manufacturers. Don't forget to factor in the cost of ports, you need at least one possible more or extension rings dependin on what lenses you plan to use.

If you go down the Ikelite route for a housing I'd recomend the Ikelite strobes as with these you get full TTL control of the flash. With most other strobes and housings you only get manual control unless you pay extra. I use 2 DS51 strobes, I like them because they are small and light and use AA batteries. The other Ikelite strobes are bigger, have better coverage but use a battery pack and require a special charger.

If I didn't have the Ikelite housing I'd probably have Sea & Sea YS110 strobes, they have a built in aiming light, good coverage and use AA batteries. A lot of people swear by INON strobes but I have no experience of them.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote