Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Aug 14, 2002, 6:14 PM   #1

Default pt-010, Oly C-40404

Hello,
I've just bought an Oly c-4040, a pt-010 housing and a Sea & Sea 90DX strobe. I haven't had the chance to use them yet and I wonder if you could give me some tips. First of all, I have problems with the velcro pattern of the strobe's fiber optic cable, it keeps moving and the strobe mask isn't completely attached to the tape of the housing. what am I doing wrong?....I also have a Fish eye tray and when it is attached to the camera I can't use the weight that makes it neutrally buoyant, does anyone have the same problem?
And finally I have some questions about using the OLY c-4040 underwater, what type of light metering should I use? and should I set the Full Time AF function or not?
What about the zoom? 35 mm, 55, 80 or 105 mm?
Lots of questions I know, sorry , but I'm new in this and you don't get those answers in the manual :-)
Thanks to all !!
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:16 AM   #2

Here is athread on another forum that answers a question or two.

http://www.wetpixel.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=380

You shouldn't need the weight when usingthe external flash and tray. The flash is negative enough to sendthe entire rig to the black bottom of the sea. Put the entire rig together and put in the bathtub. If it sinks, your fine. If it seems to be fairly heavy underwater, adjust your weight belt to compensate or you will be too heavy underwater.

I f you do need the supplied weight, it goes between the camera and the tray.

I also have new similar setup. C-4000, PT-010 and DS50 strobe. I will start with continuous focus (use rechargable batteries), spot metering, aperature priority for the correct depth of field, Strobe on TTL instead of manual.

For each dive, I will review pictures and change configuration. Take notes about settings and try to find out something that works for me.

I'll have 12 dives, so I might get some good stuff towards the end.

Good luck and give us feedback on the settings after some shots. I'll do the same as I will be in La Paz, Mx next week.
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 1:11 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Thanks Michael. I've been living in Mexico City for some months and since I'm here I really want to go to La Paz to El Bajo Seamount sometime. They told me summer is the best time to see the hammerheads so good luck !! :-)
Old Aug 15, 2002, 1:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by Laura
Thanks Michael. I've been living in Mexico City for some months and since I'm here I really want to go to La Paz to El Bajo Seamount sometime. They told me summer is the best time to see the hammerheads so good luck !! :-)
Last time we went we saw ZERO hammerheads. One small ray (from the boat). Hopefully this will be better.

El Bajo was a bust. We ended up in a squall with 4 foot seas and had to abort the dive. We bobbed on the sufrace for five or ten minutes while our boat helped another boat recover their divers. Swamped the boat, got water in the diesel fuel, both motors quit working.

Other than that, we had a good time.

Hopefullty this trip will be better.

[Edited on 8-15-2002 by Michael_Adkins]
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2002, 9:03 PM   #5
Dee

Default weight

Laura,

I use the weight for my PT-010 under the Fish Eye tray. In order...housing, tray, weight. I've found that the weight of the strobe doesn't totally offset the bouyancy of the housing. Since I tether my rig to me with a coiled lanyard, I don't mind if it's a tad negative.

To attach your weight to the FE tray, you may need to replace your knob with one that has a female screw hole in it.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:26 AM   #6

Default Female screw

Thanks Dee, I though about that too. Do you know were can I get that knob?
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:39 AM   #7
Dee

Default Female screw

Laura, I got mine from Allan at
Underwater Digital.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:50 AM   #8

Default knob

Thanks,
I bought my housing and strobe there as well, but i don't live in the US so i'm not gonna order just a knob....i'll see if i can find it somewhere else. Thanks a lot anyway
Old Sep 12, 2002, 12:39 PM   #9

Hi Laura
I can't answer any questions concerning the PT-010 housing as I use the Ikelite housing but for general camera settings and use underwater, visit the related pages on site by clicking here.. Hope this helps.
NLAVD is offline   Reply With Quote