Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:21 PM   #1

Default Underwater available light levels?

Hello, all,

I'm interested in getting into underwater digital to photograph the wrecks I so like to dive. I expect many of the pictures I would take would be wide-angle wreckscapes of one sort or another, and therefore woould be dependent on available light, with possible flash fill for the foreground. I'm a little hampered in planning the gear I will need by not knowing the "normal" light levels I may encounter. Can anyone give me some idea of the existing light exposures for, say, 100-foot depth in clear tropical water on a sunny day? For those of you that shoot wreckscapes, what sorts of exposures are yoiu using?

Thanks,

Jim Powers
jpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2002, 9:46 AM   #2

100' is pretty deep. For available light w/ no fill flash maybe f2.8 to f5.6 at 1/60th. For silouettes maybe to f8 at 1/125th.

Consumer digital cameras are pretty sensitive to light so you may find you get up to 2 stops better low light performance at ISO100 from a digicam as compared to provia or sensia. It takes some getting used to.

HTH
James
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 6:14 PM   #3

James,

Thanks for the info. I've been wondering if I could get by on the wide-angle front with a higher-end point and shoot digital and one of the add-on lenses from Sea & Sea or Inon. For two reasons, it seems like this may not be the ideal solution: the two stops of light loss and the parallax problem viewing through an optical rangefinder. I'm a professional photographer by trade and already have the Canon lenses I would need for a housed system (Sigma 14mm, Canon 20-35/2.8), so maybe I would be better going that route. I use the Canon D-30 at work, though I don't own one of my own yet, so I'm familiar with them.

Jim
jpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:43 PM   #4

Sounds like you have the canon glass - so why not go with the D30 or D60?

Ike makes an "affordable" housing - and they are coming out with a new back that will make all the controls on the back and viewing of the LCD no problem.

My opinion only,
James
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote