Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jun 16, 2002, 9:52 PM   #1

Default sony marine pack MPK-P5

I am thinking of purchasing the MPK-P5 marine pack with the P5 or P9 package

does anyone have one of these, if so how well does this sysyem work?, both under and above water. (i am an ocean kayaker)

After much looking around the purchase was made, not a Sony, a Canon S30+housing.
This unit is good*****, works v well on the kayak and u/water from side of kayak.
housing is easy to look after, a wash under the tap, rince of fresh water untill arriving home, then removing of S30, close case and then soke, just as in the manual.
I manage around 80 photos at 1200+1600 during a 4 to 6hour paddle. the s30 auto shuts down, good feature, saves power.
rmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2002, 1:18 PM   #2

Default marine packs

i have the mpk-p1 marine housing for my dcs-p1 camera and have used it sparingly. i took it snorkling first to get the hang of it and only took it 15-20 ft. deep. it worked extremely well and it was very easy to access almost every function of the camera due to the smart construction of the housing. however, i noticed what seemed to be small hairline cracks in the plastic. it could have been in the smoke clorored coating, but i was afraid to take it diving. getting it replaced was next to impossible. the customer service at sony did absolutely nothing to help me even though it was under warranty. it became a battle that i thought i was going to lose. fortunately, i knew people who work for the sony digital imaging department and they were eager to help me out. if i didn't have this connection, i probably would have tried the housing again for snorkling, but probably not diving. i have not had a chance to use the new one yet.
hunterny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 1:25 AM   #3
Juv

My friend has DSC-P5 with MPK-P5. She's quite happy with it's compact size and the image quality so far. However, her only complaint is that she has no control over the aperture - the P5 does everything for her. Here's a sample picture of Nudibranch from her DSC-P5 with Light&Motion Video Light.

[Edited on 9-26-2002 by Juv]
Juv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 9:19 PM   #4

My son used a MPK-P5 with a P7 for a week of diving in Cayman Brac. He brought back some great pictures and the housing worked fine. We did three dives a day, and he had to change 128 meg memory sticks and batteries each day. We went down as deep as 108' on Bloody Bay wall with no ill effects on the housing.

He has also taken the camera diving several times in Puget Sound with good effect. The 45 degree water didn't seem to effect the housing. The close focusing (almost macro) was used to good effect.

All in all, he has been quite pleased with the housing.
Diver Richard is offline   Reply With Quote