Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Sep 13, 2004, 7:51 PM   #1

:|I got a PT-022 underwater housing for my OM C-770 and my first dive trip is schedualed. Now what do I do?? I am a fair photographer out of the water, but I haven't a clue what parameters need to be set for underwater. OK...reds are gone fairly soon...can I correct for that?? Do I have to carry extra light?? I'm assuming I'll need to use manual setting and mess with them...but wher would you start???? What do I need to know about shooting underwater. What if my housing leaks?? How do I make sure it doesn't leak. Can you get insurance for faulty housing just in case?
Cougartoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:51 PM   #2

go there

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:58 AM   #3

The main thing to consider in underwater is getting as close as possible to the subject. If you think about it even the best vis underwater is the sort of conditions where you'd put your camera away at home.

There are two basic ways of getting close to your subject.

1. Shoot macro. There's a lot of great colourful small creatures out there that are suitable for macro and getting in close helps enhance what colour is available.

2. Shoot wide angle. Use wide angle for all the sort of shots you's normally take in the middle of the zoom range. Diver portraits are a good example. Set the zoom to it's widest setting and then move in close to frame your subject as you want to see it, don't be tempted to zoom in unless there is no other way to get the shot.

If you get serious about underwater photography you'll probably want to look at an external flash in the future as this is the best way to put the colour back into your subjects. Using the on camera flash is likely to cause backscatter from material suspended in the water column.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:58 AM   #4

Always use the flash.

Don't be tempted to shoot long distance landscapes.

Get close.
hansem is offline   Reply With Quote