Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:08 PM   #1

If anyone out there has suggestions for a newbie on how he should set up his olympus C-5000 it would be very appreciated. I was told to keep it in cloudy mode so that it will always flash and have better white control. I would also like to know if i should have it set up for tiff sq ect etc i will be printing the pictures on an olympus p-440 dye sub printer, both post card and a few 8x10 sizes. thanks for any help anyone can give me, p.s. do you know if they make a strobe for it or who makes one compatible.

thanks alot :?
spl2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:27 AM   #2

go there

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/olymp5000.html

and they have stobe etc

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...t=934&fl=5

PT-019 Underwater Housing for the C-5000 Zoom\Replacement Accessories

Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:28 AM   #3

I don't know your camera so I can't comment on specific settings.

Using flash on close-up subjects will help with the colour. At even a very shallow depth most of the red light is filtered out by the water, using the flash restores the true colours. An external flash is better as it is more powerful and it allows you to move the light away from the camera lens.This helps reduce backscatter from particles in the water column.

The auto white balance doesn't tend to work very well underwater as this is not the environment it was designed for. Cloudy white balance may help with the blue colour cast particulary at shallow depths.

Water is a very poor medium to take photographs in. Think about it 20 metres is good visibility. You wouldn't think it was good visibility if you were driving a car. For this reason we all try to reduce the amount of water between the camera and the subject. Either close-up using the macro setting of the camera. Take small subjects from as close as you can approach them. Try to get the eyes in shot and make sure they are in focus. Your internal flash will also help with this sort of subject. If you are not using close up use the widest setting your camera has and get close. As an example ashot of a wreck shot on the tele end of the zoom will be very soft and probably difficult to distinguish. The same shot on the widest setting would probably be taken from a point 3x closer to the subject so is more likely to be an acceptable shot. In this type of shot your flash is less likely to be of use although it can be used to light fish or other objects of interest close to the camera.

Hope this helps.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote