Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:45 PM   #1

which camera would be better for underwater photographey? it will be used for freediving in less than 20m

there both around the same price but im not sure which one would take nicer photos the a95 has a 1/1.8 ccd and a520 1/2.5 so would that mean the a95 will collect more light? or will this not be noticeable? i dont really need 5mp or the lcd that flips out but having a extra 1* zoom is nice but if it cant handle itself underwater the zooms pretty useless
vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:02 AM   #2

I've moved this from the post a picture forum to the underwater digital equipment forum.

The amount of light collected is determined by the ISO rating rather than the sensor size. What you should be able to expect from a larger sensor is less noise, particulary if you use the higher ISO settings available on both cameras.

In underwater photography you want to get close to the subject to cut down the amount of water between subject and lens. This means macro or wide angle. In the case of freediving I'm guessing you'll be doing more general shots rather than close up macro shots. I expect that both have a macro facility which would be fine for underwater use. The A520 has a slightly wider zoom lens but not really wide enough and not a great deal wider than teh A95. In both cases an addition wide angle convertor can be fitted to the housing.

Custom white balance can be useful underwater and both cameras have this feature.

Looking at Steve's reviews the one thing that appears to make the A95 the better camera for underwater use is a faster autofocus. A shot with the A520 is 9/10 sec including focusing and the A95 is 6/10. That could make the difference in getting the shot and not if the subject is moving.

I would read the reviews and think about how else you want to use the camera and make a decision bearing that in mind as well.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote