Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jun 24, 2002, 8:10 AM   #1

Default big wave & digital camera=no more camera

hi,

my sony dsc-F55 took a direct hit from a wave and is now completely dead. I rinsed the camera with tap water immediately afterwards and let it dry, but its still dead. My gut feeling says that its probably irrepairable, but i figured some people on this forum would have a bit more experience with sea water damage and may have some advice???

cheers, sherwin
shockstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:12 PM   #2

Unfortunately your camera is probably gone. Salt water is extremely corrosive to electronics. Even if it survived having every connection shorted by the seawater the damage is probably too severe for a cost effective repair.

In some cases you can save electronics but rinsing in tap water isn't enough. When I was in the navy and we had electronics doused with firefighting sprinklers (sea water + detergent ) we immediately immersed the boxes in deionized water which was flushed out multiple times. Keeping the salt water from drying on the components is what prevented most of the corrsion but there was still a lot of damage.

I almost lost a Nikon F2 when riding in a motor whaleboat but had a ziplock bag with me. Now I'll only take a digicam in an UW housing to the beach.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2002, 3:11 AM   #3

yep, thats what i thought.

Anyone want to buy a digicam shaped paperweight? :P
shockstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 12:25 PM   #4

shockstump,
If you ever decide to drown an Olympus I would be interested in Olympus paper weight. Know that feeling, in the early 80's flying from St Louis to Germany checked in my Hitachi portable stereo VHS with top of the line Hitachi video cam all in a nice aluminum Hitachi case never to be seen again . My dad was a CWO in the navy, the one thing he said was if any power going to electric items when they hit the water there gone. He retired in the mid 60's, think because of the batteries in camera may cause that effect, dont know.
Better luck with the ocean,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote