Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:46 PM   #1

I just bought a Sony H1 digital camera. It's shaped like an SLR camera..
I am going on a trip to the Yucatan area of Mexico/Belize in the next month and would like to use my new camera for some underwater shots. I don't plan on diving w/ the camera, just some snorkeling... nothing more than 10 feet depth.

As there is no case specifically made for the camera I was thinking of getting one of these camera bags...

....anyone try one of these?
if so, What was the quality of shots? How safely did it protect your camera from getting wet? how rugged is the bag????

http://store.thewaterproofstore.com/slrcameracase.html
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:40 AM   #2

I've not seen this particular 'bag' before but have seen the similar EWA marine bags used. They protect the camera well and the resulting photographs are fine. Only problem I'm aware of is that the bag compresses quite quickly under pressure and the buttons become difficult to operate. I guess this won't be quite such a problem snorkelling.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:40 PM   #3

thanks for the info, glad to hear that these bags work well for keeping the camera safe, and allow decent underwater photos.

I'd wait for a custom factory case to come out, but I leave in 6 weeks.

As far as the bag being compressed under pressure... I could probably use a straw to suck the air out of the bag before I go in the water, thus there would be little air available. Kind of like shrink wrapping my camera in the bag.

I do plan on experimenting w/ the bag before I actually put my camera in it and go into the ocean. I'll use a cheap 1.2 megapixel camera I have and no longer use as a test for the bag.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4

The problem is under a small amount of pressure the camera is like it's been shrink wrapped and it can make the buttons difficult to operate. More air not less would be better if this is a problem for you.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:38 PM   #5

Nagasaki is very correct:!:

I've got a similar splash bag from aqua-pac, would not consider it safe for taking under water with anything expensive in it.

All these bag products are basically just real heavy baggies with "water-resistant" closures. It is possible to perforate them accidentally.

It is also real tough to operate the camera once the water preasure starts to build, even a foot or two down. Also if there is no reinforcement the front of the bag will crush into the lens forceing it back into the camera, potentially causing damage to the lens zoom mechanism.

If you really want to take a camera under with for more than a couple of feet you should consider a hard case.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:58 PM   #6

thanks for the info.

sounds like you've both had bad experience with these bags. I assumed they would be much better?

I did find one review (it's about 3 years old but still relevant):

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...roducts_review

-yes, a hard case would be ideal... if they made one for my Sony H1.

Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:49 PM   #7

Contact Ikelite, a very reputabel name in underwater housings

They make housings for many brands and models http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camsonchart.html (sony housing page)
Their web site dosen't list the h1 yet, but I'd call them to see it they are making one, new models come out all the time.

The underwater housing price may be more than the cost of the camera though.

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:04 PM   #8

thanks for the tip! ..i'll contact them.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:15 PM   #9

dang, those are nice cases... some are around $1,000... expensive but very nice. I looked at the photos that were taken through their cases, very impressive.

Old Aug 5, 2005, 5:45 PM   #10

yep, they told me that they will be making a case for the Sony H1, probably expect to see it in late October on their site... although it could be earlier or later.

www.ikelite.com