Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Nov 26, 2005, 3:29 PM   #1

Greatings all, I did a quick search for a cheap camera I can use underwater but did not find any results, so I am trying here. I am looking for a cheap digital camera that I
can use for both SCUBA and snorkeling. It should be easy to use and relatively small.
Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Al
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:33 AM   #2

I think you need to define cheap. Nothing is really cheap in underwater photography. There are plenty of relatively cheap digital cameras that can be housed for use underwater. generally speaking the cost of the housing is about the same as the camera. If you are in the UK you could look at this site for an idea of what is available and the price.

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/d_stills/index.html
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:27 AM   #3

Thanks Nagasaki for your reply. I have gone to that site and will have to
look at it some more in detail when I have a little more time. The reason
I did not give a price is I am not sure what a starting price would be for
a small simple camera I could use for both scuba and snorkeling. I just bought
a Panasonic FZ20 and I am still buying accessories for it. I would like to keep
this camera for regulal use and get another for my diving. I guess if I had to
give a price I would say around $200 US for a camera and case would be a starting range. The camera will most likely not see a lot of use. I do more snorkeling then I
scuba so that is why it needs to be small and easy to use. I've seen a few cameras
that were designed for underwater use that did not need a case. I know there are
a lot of small inexpensive digital cameras out there that I can buy a case for but really would like some input before taking my chances on just buying the first thing I see. I saw a SeaLife DC 300 for $245 US but have never heard of them and a little concerned about quality and service.

Thanks, Al
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:52 AM   #4

I've heard of sealife but never known anyone who owned one so I can't comment on the quality or service. The price is incredibly low, most housings cost at least that much. There is a review of the similar 310 camera on this site http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...0_samples.htmlthe sample pics look OK although the conclusion to the review does not rate the camera very highly.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote