Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:40 PM   #1

I am considering both of these cameras for basic everyday use, and also to use intermittantly underwater with accessory underwater housing.

The cost is the same to me for each camera. Housing is a bit higher for the Cannon
I am not very sophisticated in terms of camera use
Barry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:19 PM   #2

I'd have to say that the Cannon looks the better option for underwater use.

It has an Underwater setting for white balance. A slightly wider zoom at the wide end where it matters underwater a shorter telephoto zoom but that is less important. It also has 3 metering modes and PSAM modes as well as full auto, this gives you more control as you learn how to use the camera.

That said they're both quality cameras and you'll do well with either.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:11 PM   #3

I had (note past tense) a Canon A-series camera that I just loved, and the underwater housing with it. Used the housing 2 or 3 times a year for 2 years, until a snorkeling trip in the Bahamas. It leaked - just 1 or 2 mls of salt water, but I am in the market for a new camera. I will be buying a new A-series but not a new housing. My advice for snorkeling: buy a disposable underwater camera, opt for a photo CD at the drug store when you get home, and then go to work on the shots with PhotoShop or Elements.

PS - Canon didn't say much about the failure except to sympathize. I know they can't warrant the housing forever, but it was lightly used and meticulously maintained, even tested in fresh water minutes before its last use. I am not ranting and raving - just expressing my view that I will not again trust a camera I really like to an underwater housing.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:12 AM   #4

Can canon camera use a non-canon housing? Could you recommend a good brand?
CanonCameraOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:31 AM   #5

Depends on the model. Ikelite make housings for a number of different cameras and these are decent housing, I use Ikelite with my SLR http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camcanchart.html. Fantasea also make housings for Canon compacts but I have heard mixed reports about this company http://www.fantasea.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.1528/.f.

If you are talking about a Canon DSLR then the choice is much wider.

Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:39 AM   #6

Can't comment on Fantasea P+S housings, but our 2 D70 and flash housings are very good for the price.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 4:31 AM   #7

Been taking up diving lessons... I am planning to buy a new camera and I needed advice from the experts. What do you think about these underwater digital cameras?
ActionFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:45 AM   #8

Can't say that any of them really look very good. They're all cheap enough and will get you some shots but I wouldn't want to guess what the quality would be like.

I'd be more inclined towars A Fuji, Canon or Olympus camera and housing. It'd cost more though so it depends on what you want out of it.

Ken
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:05 PM   #9

Default So confused.. Choosing a camera?

I'm really not looking for the easy way out... I've spent hours online looking at cameras and the more I look the more confused I get. I've also spoken with multiple salespersons at stores but none seem to know the cameras well enough to recommend what I need as a diver. I'm hoping someone here can "point" me in the right direction. I'm looking for a camera that I can use underwater obviously. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend what it takes to be able to do the following:
1. Have a camera that I can take to 120 feet. (Available housing)
2. A point and shoot that allows for manual option if i ever learn enough.
3. A small f stop since I would prefer not to have an external flash, although I may consider that at a later date.
4. Video clip option
5. Camera software that facilitates a "quick" picture so behaviors can be caught. (I have so many pictures of "no dolphins jumping)!!!
6. Good battery life (Lithium)

I know this is probably a tall order but if anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks so much.
dtbriten is offline   Reply With Quote