Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Aug 6, 2002, 12:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Laz217

For anyone who has a Tetra housing. Does the external flash connector have some kind of special circuitry so that it can trigger the external strobes in manual mode or it pretty much just a straight wire connected to the port?
There is no circuitry involved. The bulkheads are daisy chained from the external strobe port of the camera.

According to Michael's post above, the external will still fire in super-macro, so the Tetra should work fine.

Richard
Tio Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 8:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Tio Loco
Quote:

For anyone who has a Tetra housing. Does the external flash connector have some kind of special circuitry so that it can trigger the external strobes in manual mode or it pretty much just a straight wire connected to the port?
There is no circuitry involved. The bulkheads are daisy chained from the external strobe port of the camera.

According to Michael's post above, the external will still fire in super-macro, so the Tetra should work fine.

Richard
I think this would require a regular, not digital, strobe to function correctly. Otherwise, should work.
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 9:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Adkins
[I think this would require a regular, not digital, strobe to function correctly. Otherwise, should work.
I don't see what a 'digital' strobe would have to do with this. Do you mean that the strobe would have to be hard wired, as opposed to using a slave sensor?

Hard wiring is a given with the Tetra housings, but the S&S YS90-DX as well as the Ikelite 'digital' strobes all will function with traditional cables.

Richard
Old Aug 6, 2002, 2:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Adkins
[I think this would require a regular, not digital, strobe to function correctly. Otherwise, should work.
I don't see what a 'digital' strobe would have to do with this. Do you mean that the strobe would have to be hard wired, as opposed to using a slave sensor?

Hard wiring is a given with the Tetra housings, but the S&S YS90-DX as well as the Ikelite 'digital' strobes all will function with traditional cables.

Richard
Actually no. What I really meant to say is that since the external flash port of the Oly cameras does not send pre-flash, only primary flash, then a "normal" strobe is sufficient.

I'm am not sure if the pre-flash detect on the digital strobes can be turned off. If not, then they would not fire. If so, they will. If you need to purchase strobes, then the digital strobe being somewhat more expensive, would not be your choice unless you also had need of the pre-flash function.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 5:03 PM   #15

Don't know about Ike's, but this isn't a problem with the S&S.

Jeff, you and Ike are buddies, maybe you could ask him to weigh in on this topic...

Richard
Old Aug 6, 2002, 9:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Don't know about Ike's, but this isn't a problem with the S&S.

Jeff, you and Ike are buddies, maybe you could ask him to weigh in on this topic...

Richard
For the Sea and Sea then, you would just be unnecessarily spending money.

I checked the Ike site and they say that the DS-50 will work with non-digital stuff as well. The SubStrobe 50 is $300-$350 and the DS-50 is $400, so again, you would unnecessarily incur cost. Of course, you would gain flexibility by adding the slave sensor for $100.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 10:16 AM   #17

It's good to know that all is not lost on this new fantastic feature of the C-4000.

On a similar note, I spoke to the reps at Olympus and was told that the best bet was to email distec@olympus.com with regards to creating a firmware to update this feature or possibly offer a solution. I haven't gotten a response yet but I've got my fingers and toes crossed in hopes that they'll offer a solution. Maybe some of you guys should also send them an email. I'm sure with enough concern they'll consider this option an important addition.

Laz
Laz217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 10:30 AM   #18

BTW - Neither strobes(Ike's or S&S), I believe, would be a waste of money. Both strobes offer features not found on other models. I have seen numerous film shooters using these strobes and they swear by them.

If I'm not mistaken, using either strobe with the Olympus would require you to shoot in full manual mode as the TTL feature is not available for this camera/strobe setup when they are hardwired.

[Edited on 8-7-2002 by Laz217]
Old Aug 7, 2002, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
BTW - Neither strobes(Ike's or S&S), I believe, would be a waste of money. Both strobes offer features not found on other models.
Agreed, if you're shooting super macro, the 12 power settings on the S&S would certainly be worth the extra money!

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, using either strobe with the Olympus would require you to shoot in full manual mode as the TTL feature is not available for this camera/strobe setup when they are hardwired.
That's correct.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 9:13 PM   #20

Just got the Olympus 4000... I'm not writing a review until I'm done learning all the new features but so far I am very impressed. One big shocker for a lot of people is that the top LCD is bye-bye. Super Macro kicks butt, the histogram on both live shots and while reviewing your shots is excellent and gone will be the days of not knowing whether your subject is in focus--it's got up to 4X zoom on preview now. More to come...soon... I promise.

BTW Crazy Uncle... Out of curiosity. How long do the batteries on your camera last you since you don't have to use the internal flash? What Mah rating are they?