Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jul 5, 2002, 2:02 PM   #1

Default Olympus C3020 underwater?

Hi All
I am about to buy an Olympus C3020 primarily for "normal" use. But as I also do some diving I would like to get a Camera that also works underwater. I would buy the olympus PT-010 for underwater shots. I know the c3020 dont have the external flash terminal. But do I need that?? I dont know anything about underwater photo (yet) but I would like to get something ok to start out with. I have desided on the C3020 camera. How do I connect strobe to the camera?? How do the strobe "knows" when to go off if it is not connected to the camera.

Hope for a lot of good info.
Thanks
Benjamin
Ps. Sorry for bad spelling I am Danish.
Benja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2002, 7:41 PM   #2

the Olympus 3040 would be better with its f1.8 lens in low underwater if its in your budget.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 1:04 AM   #3

Default External terminal??

The only problem is that here in Denmark the C3020 is $550 and the C3040 is $875, which is more than the C4040 and way more than I have to spend. But I have now seen that the C4000 that comes out in august is $650. Is it better to wait for that instead of the C3020? I know it still dont have the f1.8 lens but it comes with the external terminal for the flash.
But my question is still do I need an external terminal for connecting a strobe? How do I connect a strobe if I dont have the external terminal?
Hope for some help.

Thanks
Benjamin
Benja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2002, 8:58 PM   #4

No, you don't need the external connection for a strobe. The Ikelite digital strobes can be connected directly to a camera but they also can connect to one of their slave sensors which detects the camera's flash for triggering. Some other external strobes also use a light sensor to trigger the flash as well.

Click here for Ikelites page on strobes and digital cameras.
NLAVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2002, 9:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Benja
The only problem is that here in Denmark the C3020 is $550 and the C3040 is $875, which is more than the C4040 and way more than I have to spend. But I have now seen that the C4000 that comes out in august is $650. Is it better to wait for that instead of the C3020? I know it still dont have the f1.8 lens but it comes with the external terminal for the flash.
But my question is still do I need an external terminal for connecting a strobe? How do I connect a strobe if I dont have the external terminal?
Hope for some help.

Thanks
Benjamin
The C-4000 has the F2.8 lens. You do need a slave sensor for the external flash. The PT-010 housing blocks the internal flash and reflects it up to the slave sensor outside the case. The C-4000 will fit the PT-010 or PT-007 case.
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 6:21 AM   #6

If you don't mind waiting until it is released, I would personally go for the new C-4000. Although it does not have the faster F1.8 lens, for which I have never had any use for (I've got the 3040). I feel the new features of the C-4000 make it well worth the purchase. These features include the 4 megapixel sensor, the histogram feature (FINALLY!), the faster (1/1000) shutter speed capability, its smaller aperture range, and MOST IMPORTANTLY -- its SUPER-MACRO capability, which will allow it to focus down to 0.8 of an inch.

I think the Olympus C-4000 takes an already fantastic line of cameras and makes it even better. I have high hopes for this little camera that is quietly sneaking into the scene. Best of all, its design seems to work perfectly with the PT-007 and PT-010 case. Of course, I am also hoping Olympus releases a new case with a better depth rating--for the sake of my sanity while doing deep dives.

The only two concerns I have are whether the use of the old lens (same as in 3030) will bring back the chromatic abbrevation problems it originally had and making sure everyone doesn't buy all the cameras before I get a chance to buy one myself.

Laz

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by Laz217]
Laz217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 11:41 AM   #7

CORRECTION!

The C-4000 is out NOW! Looks like they shipped under our noses and a few companies already have them in stock and ready to ship.

Hopefully I should be getting mine tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think of it as soon as I get the chance to use it.

Laz
Old Aug 5, 2002, 12:35 PM   #8

Default C-4000

I already have my C-4000.

Note that in supermacro mode, the internal flash is turned off, thus you have no way of firing your slave.

The external flash port is still on, but you would have to hvae a housing that has a hardwired port. The PT-007/010 do not.

Also, the camera fits the PT-007 housing as well. I just checked it yesterday.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 5:51 PM   #9

Ah, that is real sad to hear. Finally Olympus makes the camera's macro capability something to look forward to and they decide to disable the internal flash so as to make the feature useless for 95% of the its u/w users.

I guess in such case the only housing that would work would be the Tetra housing since it is CURRENTLY the only housing (that I know of) that has a port available.

For anyone who has a Tetra housing. Does the external flash connector have some kind of special circuitry so that it can trigger the external strobes in manual mode or it pretty much just a straight wire connected to the port?
Old Aug 5, 2002, 6:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Laz217
Ah, that is real sad to hear. Finally Olympus makes the camera's macro capability something to look forward to and they decide to disable the internal flash so as to make the feature useless for 95% of the its u/w users.

I guess in such case the only housing that would work would be the Tetra housing since it is CURRENTLY the only housing (that I know of) that has a port available.

For anyone who has a Tetra housing. Does the external flash connector have some kind of special circuitry so that it can trigger the external strobes in manual mode or it pretty much just a straight wire connected to the port?
If someone who is really bored wanted a project, how about this.

Get an Olympus -04 PC sync cord just to get the Oly flash connector and rig up a low power "external" flash inside the housing. You could then use this to trigger the slave.

The benefit of this is that the external flash connector only sends the primary flash signal, not the pre-flash. Thus, any external flash with slave sensor would work, no need for a digital strobe. Of course, it would only work in manual mode.

You would disable the internal flash if not in supermacro mode.

Is my logic sound?