Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jul 5, 2002, 6:22 PM   #1

Default Minolta 7/7i underwater

i've got a Minolta 7i. i love it. had a 7 before liked it too. ewa marine has had a housing in devlopment for over 6 months now. i'm running low on air here waiting for it. has anyone here experimented with ewa a-ux housing yet?
the config i'm hoping for is a 7i coupled up to a 5600 strobe. also possibly a small external battery pack. from their rather scetchy dimensions and inadequate photos of their products it looks like it has half a chance of working. it looks like a rather long trip into nyc with my gear to give it the once over at a shop. i had emailed them at the home office but the never got back to me
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2002, 6:42 AM   #2
NHL

Isn't the Ewa Minolta case just a U-AX with a dedicated 49mm thread adaptor?

You might want the U-AXP if you need more room for the extra battery, but I think the D7(i) is ill fitted for this application (ie power zoom is better under theses circumstances) especially the power hungry LCD... since the external battery pack is barely more powerful than the now available 1850 mAh NiMh AAs.

...Unless 1/2 way through the snorkeling you can double the run time by removing the external battery pack plug and switch to the internal NiMh AA through the flexible bag...

[Edited on 7-6-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 7:02 AM   #3
NHL

sjms

I've tried this set-up with my 990, and there's nothing to write home about... At these depth there's no contrast or color, and unless you can go under a huge corral and optimize your flash, the pictures are rather flat and nowhere near the quality that are posted on this thread...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...ad.php?tid=239

... and you can't go deeper with the EWA !!!

[Edited on 7-6-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 9:09 AM   #4

Default Battery pack u-axp

the maha lithium pack i haven't worked with yet. i'm leaning towards the u-axp so i might try to squeeze my digital camera battery in. that battery powers my camera and flash, on land, for over 750 shots 50% of them flash. maha only powers the camera. i'll let you know when i venture into nyc in a few weeks.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote