Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jul 7, 2002, 2:29 PM   #1

Default B What's the best Oly 4040 UW set up?

With the Olympus 4040 now selling for as low as $500 new (Cameratopia, Broadway Photo, etc.) and with the PT010 housing going for less than $300, I thought now might be a good time to finally jump into UW photography.
Keeping in mind that I'd also like to use them on shore, which add on lenses would you 4040 UW photographers suggest using? Naturally I'd like a good macro, but I'd also like a quality telephoto that I could use to take nature photos from my kayak.
Do UW strobes work as well top side?
And, finally, which 20 or 30 gig photo storage devices might I consider?
Thanks
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2002, 11:25 AM   #2

Bob,
I have the set up you are asking about. You won't need a macro lens, the camera has a macro setting that works very well. I don't know of anyone thats bought one yet but I could be wrong.

I don't have a strobe yet but there are countless others on this group that do (Laz217, ChrisM, Sharpdiver, etc...) and have had very good results as you've probably seen below.

Regarding a choice in telephoto lenses, there are several options, on the old board there was a lot of discussion around this, unfortunately all that info is gone. However, two lenses have appeared to rise above the rest, the B-100 (not available in US, imported from www.eagleeye.com I think) and Raynox DCR-1850PRO Pro-Telephoto Lens 1.85X (I own this one http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egolyc4040z.htm). I've had some pretty good results using it that you can see at (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tepeddico...ana+02&.view=t). Most were taken with the zoom lens on.

Good luck,

TomKC
TomKC is offline   Reply With Quote