Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old May 2, 2006, 4:03 PM   #1

I want to be able to take surf photos with the new digicam I plan to buy. Certain manufacturers make water resistant or All weather cases. (Such as Sony, Ceritifed down to 10ft in depth) While I don't have any reason to go below that depth, I do plan on taking it in rough surf conditions. (4-10ft high) Does anyone have any idea the kind of pressure that this creates or if a case certifed at this depth would have problems withstanding this pressure.

I'm tempted to not risk it, but don't want to eliminate certain brands if there is no risk.
Diggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 4:17 AM   #2

My only experience is with fully waterproof housings certified to 60 metres. My only leak and it was just a few spots of water on the camera body, fortunately, was while exiting the water in a heavy surge.

Conventional thinking on housings is that they are more likely to leak in very shallow water rather than in deeper water. As you get deeper the pressure on the housing helps improve the seal, at least until you exceed the maximum depth of the housing.

I'm not sure hwo they rate the water resistance of housings but with watches it's a static pressure test and moving water makes ity more likely to leak. That's why a water rated to 50 metres is not reckoned to be suitable for wearing when swimming.

In short I think you'd be taking a risk with a 10ft rated housing in rough surf.

Ken.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 12:39 PM   #3

Theinfo isvery much appreciated. Helps with my decision.
Diggs is offline   Reply With Quote