Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:15 AM   #1

Hi,First post here.*I've just come back from a trip to Australia and had to hire an underwater camera (A620) to take photos whilst scuba diving on the great barrier reef. This was my first experience of underwater photography and I'm very much looking to get into it.*My current camera, Pentax Optio S5i, has just died on me and i also need my new camera to be good out of water aswell.*I was very impressed with the Canon A620 that I rented-probably mainly due to the impressive movie mode (when compared to the pentax, which I think was poor).*Is the Canon the best camera around to be used underwater (with casing obviously) as well as to be used day-to-day or can anyone suggest any better camera?Thanks,Mike
mike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:38 PM   #2

I think the best digital camera for underwater use is the Nikon D2X although some preferCanon.

I'm guessing this is not the ballpark that you are looking it I mention it to make a point. The best camera is the one at a price you like that gives you the results you want. If you've tried the Canon A620 and are happy with the egonomics and the results then I'd go with that.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.*Yeah, unfortunately the Nikon is a bit out of the price range I am looking at.*I know from using it that the A620 performs well underwater but have obviously never used any other camera in this environment and am really looking for some advice from others who have used the Canon and some others and can tell me how well it compares. I am looking at the sub 250 price range for the camera alone and know I will have to spend again to get the housing.*I also don't know if different manufacturers make better housings-such as the Canon ones which have the white sheet to spread the flash, as I would consider this when thinking about which camera to buy.*
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:35 PM   #4

Not sure where in the world you are but this UK site has a fair range of housings for different makes of camera http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/d_stills/index.html

I think the problem with the question you're asking is that not many people have experience of a range of cameras and housings.

You could try looking at www.digideep.com and asking for people with experience of the canon of the www.wetpixel.com forums.

Ken

Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:00 PM   #5

ok, that's great. Thanks for your replies. I should fill in my location really
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:59 AM   #6

If you get into underwater photography look up www.nupg.org.uk we hold monthly meetings in Hale during the winter.

Also if you're shooting in the UK www.digigreen.netis a good forum.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:28 AM   #7

Thanks, I'll look into it when I finally get my camera