Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Underwater Digital Photos

Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:06 AM   #1
Banned

Default Download Vlc Player !!!

Hey everyone,

Hey guys, what media players do you use? I used VLC player for quite a while but I got bored of it and want to try new things since i'm such a geek. It's much better than the average media player since it plays virtually any video/audio file format out there and has already all the codecs preinstalled. There are lots of other near features too. Here's the link to vlc player download page if somebody doesn't know what it is.

Thanks to all in advance !!!!
lopex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:11 AM   #2
Administrator

Note to members.

The link this new member posted was not to the real project site for VLC (which is a very nice open source video player).

The link in the above post (now removed, with the member posting it banned) went to a site with a very professional looking page (complete with nice logos, "about us" pages and more), appearing to be part of the videolan project, with a link to download VLC.

The download link from that site went to a site with a redirect to download a .exe file containing malware (ADSPY/AdSpy.Gen2, which is an adware related trojan).

If you used that download link (now removed) to install the VLC Player, you may want to use a malware scanner to find and remove any installed malware. The free version of Avira can detect it:

http://www.free-av.com/en/products/1...antivirus.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:25 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

This is the "real" site for the VideoLAN project:

http://www.videolan.org/

VLC is a nice open source media player, available for multiple operating systems. I keep it installed under both Windows and Linux.

But, be very careful when clicking on links to software from other sources, as there are a lot of criminals around anymore, and an adware related trojan is mild compared to some of the malware that you can install when getting software from untrusted sources (and the sites these guys setup will often appear to be authentic and related to the projects they're claiming to represent).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:01 PM   #4

Thanks for watching our backs Jim, good catch!
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Banned

Default Download Vlc Player

If you want to play video or music files and not worry about format, VLC Media Player is the best application for the job. With so many media formats out there, VLC Media Player is a catch-all player that can handle anything.
If you're looking for a great alternative to Windows Media Player, iTunes, RealPlayer and others, VLC Media Player is the application you need.
miracrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:04 AM   #6
Super Moderator

As with Jim's person last year, here is another (above) doing the same thing. Link in sig removed and member banned.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote