Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Underwater Digital Photos

Old Sep 16, 2002, 6:35 PM   #1

Default Grand Cayman Phots Pt. 2

Here is one more set of photos from my Grand Cayman trip.
These were taken with an Olympus 3040, PT-7 housing and a Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe after taking a 1/2 day private class with Cathy Church these were the results.
I was very pleased would be glad to hear what others think.

DoctorBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:14 PM   #2

Doc,
Is there a story on "mermaid", great shooting.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 7:23 AM   #3

Default Mermaid at Sunset House

The mermaid for those that do not know is located at the Sunset House on Grand Cayman. This is also where you will find Cathy Church's shop. There is a whole series of photos on the sunset house's web page.
Here is a little article I found about the mermaid.

Visit Grand Cayman's Sunset House and you can dive with a mermaid! Well, okay, it's not a live mermaid, but she's a very realistic mermaid in bronze. She's beautifully proportioned, nine feet tall and 600 pounds of sculpted bronze, created by Simon Morris, a Canadian artist. After a year of planning, Amphitrite, the Siren of Sunset Reef, was placed in 55 foot deep water about 130 yards from shore. She's named after the mythological wife of Poseidon, the ruler of the seas. Rather an appropriate name, I think, for a lady who will hold court for huge numbers of diving visitors each year.

The statue's placement off the reef at Sunset House was delayed a bit by the onset of Hurricane Keith, but Amphitrite is now set upon a pedestal and divers can swim right up and touch her. With Grand Cayman's fantastic underwater visibility, she makes an impression even from a distance. Simon Morris has created other mermaids, but this one is special, because she's the last from the mold, which was cracked during the statue's creation. You can get some great insight into the mermaid's development by reading an interview with the artist.
DoctorBob is offline   Reply With Quote