Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Underwater Digital Photos

Old Jul 8, 2002, 9:08 PM   #1

Default CFWA on a deep water oil platform

This was taken on HI-A389 during a Flower Gardens trip over the weekend. More images to follow.

NLAVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2002, 8:18 AM   #2

You were down here in Texas and you didn't email me!!!??? How did you like the boat? Did you go out on the Fling or the Spree?

Great shot! For the last 2 years the HI-A389 platform has been "off limits" to diving because W&T Offshore have been drilling from the platform. The drill rig has been removed and I'm really glad to see that you can dive there again. It's a great site!

Cheers
James Wiseman
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2002, 12:15 PM   #3

I had been told that it was the rig to dive. I'm glad I finally got to do it, it was great. The growth on in is pretty amazing, I was told it hadn't been cleaned in 23 years.

I've been out there a few times and it's always a good trip. I was on the Spree which is my preference because I know the crew. If you're not familiar with it, it's a no-frills liveaboard that does 2, 3, and 5 day trips that visit the Flower Gardens east and west banks and stetson bank. They try to work in an oil rig dive while they're out there. I personally think they (Spree and Fling) do what they do VERY well and keep the cost reasonable.

Click for Gulf Diving, LLC

[Edited on 7-9-2002 by NLAVD]
Old Jul 9, 2002, 2:33 PM   #4

Default Flowergardens Trips

Yep, I know the crew of the Spree and the Fling too. My last trip was the first trip out for the year - in April.

Here's a pic from the HI 496 platform which is also a great dive. Hit the south side center legs for the huge Tubastraea colony!

Can't wait to see the rest of your pix from the trip!

Cheers
James Wiseman
www.reefpix.org

[Edited on 7-12-2002 by jamesw]
Old Jul 12, 2002, 9:52 AM   #5

Very nice photos (I visited your gallery). I'll have to ask Frank to do that one next time. Is that a silky shark in 30.jpg? I saw silkies on almost every dive on my last trip but none on this trip...go figure. I did see a decent sized caribbean reef shark on East Bank.

Click here for my gallery from the trip.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:31 AM   #6

Excellent gallery! Were Russ and Suzie on your trip? Russ is a DM and takes a lot of shots at the Flowergardens.

I had a look at your gallery too. You were REALLY lucky to get a loggerhead on your "rigdive." You can sell that shot.

Silkies: yep, 20+ of them. They were very shy, hence my shots are all from 20 to 30 feet away - that's why they aren't the best.

I'm not sure which "rig" I would choose - 389 or 496. Ken and Phil like 496 - maybe Frank likes 389...

So when are we going diving?

Cheers
James
Old Jul 12, 2002, 1:03 PM   #7

I'll may well be doing the FGs again soon. Everyone else on the boat saw a manta at Stetson and I missed it. I need to go try again : )

I either have to fly to HOU or drive 9 hours to Freeport so a FG trip isn't as easy for me as for some. Every time I plan one Cozumel starts calling my name.

I'm not sure which one Frank prefers but I was with Dave Read (click here for his site) and he requested 389. Dave had DM'd on the boats in the past so he knows the Gardens well.