Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Underwater Digital Photos

Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1

I recently bought a Camera Shield from Fuerte Cases, and plan on using it underwater (snorkeling) with a Konica Minolta Dimage G600. Should I use flash or not? I read somewhere that you don't need flash if you don't go to deep like beyond 10 feet and if you shoot upwards towards the sunlight. I tried taking pictures with the camera inside the case at ISO 200 with flash on land, and quality was bad and overexposed. However, when I shot pictures at ISO 200 without flash, the quality was as good as usual. Please give me some pointers. By the way, what options should I adjust on the camera before I go underwater? Is adjusting the ISO speed enough? (Should I use ISO 200 or ISO 400?) (I can't adjust controls after I'm in the water due to the camera shield's design.) Thanks in advance.
bourne_pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:37 AM   #2

ISO 200 should be sufficient and will give better results than 400 and I'd consider trying100 or 50 if the camera has it.

Being in the case shouldn't affect the flash performance so I don't understand why it overexposes when in the case, assuming it works fine out of the case.

Snorkelling in the bright sunlight you should be able to manage without the flash. If it's a dull day you may well need the flash as light is quickly absorbed by the water. Also if the water is not clear then light will be lost at quite shallow depths.

Colour is lost as you go deeper the reds disappearing first. Flash will put the colour back but because is is mounted close to the lens it will also light up any muck in the water and this will show up as back scatter. The problem with this is that it may not show up until you get home and download the pictures to your PC.

Using manual white balance if you have it or a cloudy or shade setting if you don't will probably give better colours than auto white balance and then playing around in photoshop can improve the colour further. See this post for an idea of what is possible http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=71

To sum up I would try ISO 100, cloudy white balance and no flash. See what you get and make adjustments from there.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:49 AM   #3

You will need to use flash underwater due to the water filtering out light (& colors) as you go deeper. I'm also moving this to the Underwater Forum, where you are more likely to get better advice.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:07 AM   #4

Thanks Nagasaki. That information is really useful, since I have almost no idea about underwater photography. I adjusted my ISO speed to 100 andmy white balance to cloudy. I have ISO 50 also, so should I stick with ISO 100 or go with ISO 50? Also, is it a good idea to adjust the slow shutter speed? When flash is off, the slow shutter speed is set to 1/8. Thanks. Below are pictures takenon land through the camera shield at ISO 100.

(I will be snorkeling in Mexico this month where it's supposed to be hot, humidand sunny. I'm not sure whether thisinfoinvites any more pointers or changes. However,August is in the hurricane season, soI guess it could bedark and cloudy God forbid. That humid part reminds me- do I need to put a desiccant in the camera shield?)

In response to kalypso's statement:Since my camera has a zoom lens, the flash is not directly against the casing; it is a little more than an inch away from the casing. Furthermore, I had to put in white foam wedges above the camera's flash in order to keep the camera in place. Does this impact the usefulness of the flash?Also, my camera's flash is very weak. Nagasaki suggested not using the flash. I'm in a predicament.
Attached Images

bourne_pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:37 AM   #5

Just back off my holidays and I guess too late to over any usefule advice.

Taking your no flash shot and using photoshop levels I got this version.

Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:37 AM   #6

Using Photoshop levels selectively on the RGB channels I got this version. So whatever seetings you've used there are options to adjust the final result in post processing.

Attached Images