Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:06 PM   #1

Hi,

I have an unlimited site and would like to ftp my images to my server and have the software make an album after the picturesare in a directory on my server. Is this possible? If it isn't then which album software allows you to upload high-def with as little pain and fuss as possible. I am using my site more as storage than as a site to showcase the pictures. I have been searching, downloading and trying software and haven't found theright:? package yet.

Thanks,

Darle
showscots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:23 AM   #2
Administrator

You may want to look at Gallery

Another product to look at is Coppermine

I haven't used them, but these are two of the most popular tools for creating web based photo albums.

A very popular product requiring less in the way of server side "hooks" is JAlbum

I don't know if it would do what you want or not.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:33 PM   #3

Well first off you need to create your gallery first then upload to your host.
you will not find software that will create a gallery from pictures in your host file then arange evry thing for you.

JimC mentioned some good freeware aps for creationg your galleries, use a free ftp program like filezilla to upload.
nacho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Administrator

nacho32 wrote:
Quote:
Well first off you need to create your gallery first then upload to your host.
you will not find software that will create a gallery from pictures in your host file then arange evry thing for you.
The first two products I mentioned should be able to create the albums from the photos already on the server from what I can determine, using ImageMagick, PHP Scripts, etc. to do some of the server side manipulation with. You can even upload photos in .zip files and the album creation is done on the server side via scripts.

You'll see some of the features for Gallery mentioned on this page:

http://gallery.menalto.com/features

The last product I mentioned (JAlbum) doesn't have this level of sophistication (and it doesn't need as many hooks into the server either).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:59 AM   #5

Don't do that!

Even if everyone you want to see your images has a high speed connection, it is unlikely that many of them have a screen that is something like 4,000x3,000 pixels. And even with a high speed connection, a large number of images that are greater than 3Mbytes each will get tedious.

The solution is to put a downsized copy of your images in a separate directory and build a simple web page. IrfanView (freeware -www.irfanview.com) can do that as a batch job and can even build a simple web page as well. I like Nvu (http://www.nvu.com/ - freeware) for simple web pages, other folks have other choices. If you want your viewers to be able to download the high resolution image, make each of the low resolution copies a link to the high resolution copy.

So the first thing to figure out is why you want to put up an albumn/web page. For folks to view your pictures? To be able to download high resolution copies for printing? Who do you want to look at your pictures? Does your ISP provide unlimited bandwidth as well as unlimited storage?

As another note, how sure are you that your ISP will continue to provide infinite storage? Do you think anyone can really offer infinite storage? How sure are you that your ISP will be in business in a couple of years? Are you keeping another copy of your images for the time your ISP fails? Keeping your images on a server isn't a bad additional backup, but I would never trust it as the primary storage.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote