Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:49 AM   #1

Default photo embedded camera setup info??

I have just started to use some gallery software (JAlbum) impressed so far. my one question is: next to the photos there is a camrea icon which shows tech infomation on how the camrea was set up to take the photo. Does the software work this out or is the data embedded in the photo? Pics taken with canon A70
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2003, 8:22 AM   #2

Some cameras such as the Coolpix line record a .txt file with the image info. It's in the same directory as the images.

I'm not sure about Canon cameras but the other way cameras save image data is using something called an exif header. It's not something you ever see unless you have an exif editor, I use RoboPhoto for this. http://www.robophoto.com

It's a cheap program and has a great exif editor built in but you can get them for free try an "exif editor" search on google. You can store a boatload of info in a jpg. I use it to record Latitude and Longetude on images I shoot while hiking.
Jim LaGraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:28 AM   #3

An EXIF viewer/editor is well worth having, and there are several generic programs. However the EXIF "standard" seems to be read differently by different manufacturers so look for one for your specific camera to get the maximum informatiion.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:25 PM   #4

The two programs I use most (both free) for inspecting the data from the camera are "Exifer" from www.exifer.friedemann.info, and "Photostudio" from www.stuffware.co.uk.

Exifer has a wonderful facility for showing you only the *differences* in camera settings between two selected images.

As Bill says, cameras write the information in various different ways, and you may need more than one package to see everything the camera records, and you may need to do a little interpretation. For example, exifer states the ISO sensitivity setting for my camera in words and figures, except for ISO100, which it describes as 'high' , which it isn't of course, with no numeric figure.

The software that came with my Casio doesn't show quite as much as exifer, e.g., exifer helpfully tells you how far away the camera thought the subject was.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 2:52 PM   #5

DiCaInfo (http://www.dicasoft.de/dicainfo.htm - freeware) for some Casios is an example of a camera specific EXIF viewer. There is a listing of the settings it reads with notes about which ones are "standard" values and which are included in the "Maker's Notes": things like saturation, contrast, flash intensity, ... are not standard so you can expect that generic EXIF readers might not be able to read them.

The best bet is to ask about EXIF readers in the forum for your specific camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 8:57 PM   #6

How does it work then with printers?

I've read somewhere that printers can read exif and setup the best quality for the print.

But if different cameras put different codes, how does the printer know what's going on??
Hammerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote