Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:11 PM   #1

I am looking to set up a photo storefront from which to sell sports photos I've taken of high school and youth sports athletes to their families.

In the past I have emailed photos to parents at no cost but would like now to expand the effort to augment my retirement income.

I envision providing a business card to parents/families containing a link to the site where they could purchase a photo. Having an effective SEO type site that drives people to the site is not important at this point although it maybe something to think about in the future.

I have seen Shutterfly, Photo stock Plus and PhotoTool plus a few others. Does any one have any suggestions ot recommendations?

Jerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:25 AM   #2
Administrator

Jerry:

You may want to look at http://www.smugmug.com

They've got a Pro Account offering for $149.95 at year that lets visitors order prints, while giving you a profit on them. See this page for more:

http://www.smugmug.com/pro/

JohnG uses a Pro Account with them to host his photos. So, he could probably give you some of their pros and cons.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:39 AM   #3

Jerry,

Yes I use smugmug. Overall the experience has been very positive. They have some glitches but it is really a very good outfit overall.

As Jim mentioned it's $150 per year. Plus, they take 15% of your profits. But you get unlimmited space, the ability to view multiple image sizes, the ability to apply watermarks, ability to customize your website and a discussion forum including sections on photo business and customization of your site. Prints are handled through www.ezprints.com.

My site is www.jagsportsphotos.com

You're welcome to look around. And I'll answer any questions I can.

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:47 AM   #4

Thanks Jim
SmugMug sounds like what I'm looking for. The price for "like services" seem a bit less expensive than others such as Shutterfly plus I have several friends who use SmugMug and are very satisfied.
Thanks again for your help.
Jerry
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:01 AM   #5

JohnG
Thanks for your input as well. I have read many of your responses to posts on this forum, especially those relating to shooting sports. You are indeed a very helpful and valuable resource for all photographers looking to learn and improve their technique.

I certainly have learned a great deal from you and the other folks that contribute to this forum.

By the way, that is quite an impressive gallery you have! SmugMug looks like a winner for me.

Thanks for all your sage advice. I look forward to seeing more comments from JohnG in the future.

Jerry
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:14 AM   #6

After reading all of that and reading smugmug I think ill be getting a pro account too!

Only thing Im waiting on is to find out the costs for being in Aus and having the prints sent here.
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote